Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
The Barrel Yards | 25 fl | U/C
(04-17-2019, 03:07 PM)urbd Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 02:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I would have thought that neighbourhood amenities like outdoor cafes, performance spaces, high-end retail and services go with those income levels/lifestyle preferences, but Barrel Yards seems devoid of same, unless you include Proof.

Barrelyards was designed as a luxury suburban community which happens to be in high rise buildings in the middle of the city. This is the problem when one developer buys a huge piece of land and develops it all by themselves, instead of severing and selling smaller pieces for smaller individual buildings that become part of the urban fabric. Keep in mind that what we see being built at the Barrelyards now is the product of a planning vision from 15 to 20 years ago when the city was trying to get someone to develop the land. Another problem with huge master planned developments - that the planning and construction world take so long that when the projects are finished they reflect a different era of design and urbanism.

Yes, I think that's pretty much it and why it has come to pass.  My fear is that the Schneider lands redevelopment may be a comparable missed opportunity for similar reasons.

(04-17-2019, 05:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 03:07 PM)urbd Wrote: Barrelyards was designed as a luxury suburban community which happens to be in high rise buildings in the middle of the city. This is the problem when one developer buys a huge piece of land and develops it all by themselves, instead of severing and selling smaller pieces for smaller individual buildings that become part of the urban fabric. Keep in mind that what we see being built at the Barrelyards now is the product of a planning vision from 15 to 20 years ago when the city was trying to get someone to develop the land. Another problem with huge master planned developments - that the planning and construction world take so long that when the projects are finished they reflect a different era of design and urbanism.

Yes, I think that's pretty much it and why it has come to pass.  My fear is that the Schneider lands redevelopment may be a comparable missed opportunity for similar reasons.

Schneiders will have a far broader mix of developments, and include significant retail space. One key difference is that the City of Kitchener has been providing direction on what they want to see. My impression is that Waterloo was not pushing very hard for mixed development, or a mix of housing price ranges at Barrel Yards.
This line from the Barrel Yards architect site always makes me laugh
"This major multi-phase, residential, office, hotel and retail project was the focus of the local Planning Department, aiming to set an urban design example within Waterloo, Ontario."

An excellent example in what to AVOID doing.
(04-17-2019, 07:40 PM)Lens Wrote: This line from the Barrel Yards architect site always makes me laugh
"This major multi-phase, residential, office, hotel and retail project was the focus of the local Planning Department, aiming to set an urban design example within Waterloo, Ontario."

An excellent example in what to AVOID doing.

I remember going to the original open house about the plans and they talked about green roofs and mixed-use buildings, street level retail, etc.. The project has been going on forever and the more interesting elements seemed to disappear from the plans. There's still so much left to build, maybe it could get a little better, but I doubt it.
The tower under construction looks to be 2/3 stories above ground right now.
[Image: 20190917-122040.jpg]

It looks like they've finished two parking levels and two above-grade levels.
Thanks for posting. Been a while since we saw any updates around here.

(09-17-2019, 02:30 PM)Spokes Wrote: Thanks for posting.  Been a while since we saw any updates around here.

Looking back through this thread, it's taken them about a year to go from two floors to four. I guess semi-annual updates would be best so we know about each floor as it's built.
That's true. Why so slow?

The other buildings went up at a normal pace.
How many more buildings is this expansion? And is it purpose built for rent only?
I think for rent only. Auburn seems to lean more that way do they not?
It's amazing how long this project has been going on for almost a decade and they're still not done.
(09-18-2019, 02:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's amazing how long this project has been going on for almost a decade and they're still not done.

All that concentration on quality design and aesthetics takes time ...

Even longer if you think about when it was first announced. I think it was 2007.
(09-18-2019, 12:44 PM)Momo26 Wrote: How many more buildings is this expansion? And is it purpose built for rent only?

They have all been designed as condos, but Auburn has chosen to keep them as rentals for the time being.

The image attached should give you an idea of how many left (circle is under construction), plus townhouses on Avondale.

(09-18-2019, 02:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's amazing how long this project has been going on for almost a decade and they're still not done.

It is going according to the plan. It was always meant to be a 10+ years site build out.

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »