Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
131 University Ave W | 16 fl | U/C
Definitely an improvement for this site. I'm hoping to see more university Ave growth soon

This building has now been topped off. Workers are installing the orange cladding as well as the windows. 131 is now on ACCOMMOD8U's website (https://www.accommod8u.com/131-university-avenue-west) and should be available for students for fall 2019.

This had been one of the quickest projects in the reason. Last October, they had only started to demolish the previous buildings as seen on Google maps (https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4726725,...384!8i8192)

Hopefully more student-oriented building follow this model instead of that of the stucco Highrises of King and Columbia. 

By the way here is a timelapse of the concrete pour for this project: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn...2191358976
Is one bed + dining the new 1 bed + den? The floorplan I looked at had a window in the dining room, so I'm sure lots of units will be used that way.
(07-05-2019, 09:50 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Is one bed + dining the new 1 bed + den? The floorplan I looked at had a window in the dining room, so I'm sure lots of units will be used that way.

Who uses a separate dining room? Does it have a door? I think that’s just another way of writing “bonus bedroom”.
No door.
I just noticed this amendment that is going to be present to Council.  It reminded me of this thread.  Any tenant of this new building that uses a dining room as a bedroom will be in violation.

BEDROOM
means a habitable room within a DWELLING UNIT that is not:
a.) “Common Areas”, meaning:
• a living room open to all occupants of the unit
• a dining room open to all occupants of the unit;
b.) areas used for sanitary purposes, such as but not restricted to a washroom;
c.) areas used for cooking purposes, such as but not restricted to a kitchen;
d.) areas occupied by mechanical equipment, such as but not limited to furnaces, hot water heaters, and laundry equipment;
e.) circulation spaces, such as stairways and hallways;
f.) rooms less than six (6) square metres in area where there are built-in cabinets and or closets;
g.) rooms less than seven (7) square metres in area where there are no built-in cabinets and or closets; and,
h.)  a room without a window or alternative source of natural light.
Anyone using a den (normally not having a window) as a bedroom would be too, but we know it's common practice.

Are they planning on inspections? That's the only way to enforce
(07-27-2019, 09:47 AM)Spokes Wrote: Are they planning on inspections?  That's the only way to enforce

I am thinking this is a way to influence future designs and plans and less intended to monitor current uses.
"I would like to apologize to anyone i have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly."
I really noticed this for the first time today and thought it was the long proposed 199-205 Albert proposal.
[Image: 20190817-140717.jpg]

The tower crane is down. There was a mobile crane on site today that I thought was for disassembling the tower crane, but the load it was handling didn't look right and I didn't see any trailers with crane components.
Im happy with how this is turning out from the picture
(07-25-2019, 02:48 PM)jamincan Wrote: Anyone using a den (normally not having a window) as a bedroom would be too, but we know it's common practice.

A den might be able to sneak through if the doors have glass panes and admit natural light ...

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »