Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"LRTs displace all the poor people"?
(11-06-2015, 09:20 AM)ookpik Wrote: That this quote comes from Carolyn Parrish aside...

Haha. That was my thought, too. Pity, I'd forgotten about her.

You asked: "What obligation, if any, does city hall have to ensure a mix of housing types and affordabilities?"

I think it's our shared responsibility to make sure that everyone has opportunities to better their situations. Allowing them to be pressured to areas where they have to face lengthy commutes to access employment doesn't jive with that.

Frankly, I doubt it's much of an issue in a region like ours, but it could be, and we should be proactive. Other cities have led the way by requiring that a certain proportion of new developments be set aside for lower-income housing. That seems to be the best practice in big progressive cities like Vancouver, and I personally think Kitchener and Waterloo should do the same, particularly around the LRT line.

There are so many benefits to having a broad mix of incomes in every neighbourhood, and we should be promoting it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
"LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by ookpik - 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by MidTowner - 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by nms - 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by nms - 01-29-2016, 01:48 PM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by nms - 05-09-2016, 01:17 PM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by nms - 04-10-2017, 12:54 PM
RE: "LRTs displace all the poor people"? - by nms - 04-20-2017, 11:28 PM