Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Market Ln / Eby Village
Has anyone heard any development news about Moyer Pl / Market Ln (Eby Village)?  Are these units occupied?  They appear to be residential, aside form X-Disc-C, which never seems open.  I'm living out of country, but when I was back this summer, I sadly didn't notice any progress.  I had always hoped this could become a little group of pubs and restaurants...

It could indeed by a great little area, but I think it has been entirely residential for some time now, apart from the record store.  The house at the corner of Eby and Market Lane was renovated for a triplex earlier this year (it had become very seedy), and the house opposite the record store was very nicely renovated either this year or last.  The whole area, however, including Moyer Pl, the surrounding houses on Duke and Eby, and the Market Lane itself could be so much more with a bit of vision (and money).
I always thought this would have made a nice artist community.
I recall in my younger days that they really tried to push the Market Lane area; Britannia restaurant and a small pub were in a couple of the houses, there were small shops, etc. Britannia moved and became Ellison's Bistro, then the whole area seemed to revert to residential in the matter of a couple of years.

Visibility and awareness has always seemed to be a problem for this location. I know people that have lived in KW for their entire life who have zero clue that the area even exists.
(11-27-2015, 01:23 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: I recall in my younger days that they really tried to push the Market Lane area; Britannia restaurant and a small pub were in a couple of the houses, there were small shops, etc. Britannia moved and became Ellison's Bistro, then the whole area seemed to revert to residential in the matter of a couple of years.

Visibility and awareness has always seemed to be a problem for this location. I know people that have lived in KW for their entire life who have zero clue that the area even exists.

It was the Brittany restaurant.  I think the City missed an opportunity by not (semi)pedestrianizing the lane when they upgraded the sidewalk.  It could make a good public/events space.  If fact, if I could wave my magic development wand, I'd take out the building on Scott St that now houses Bibles for Mission Thrift Shop and create an expanded Market Green to connect to the pedestrianized Lane.
I don't really see how this lane could be a successful place considering what's on the two ends: 1) A completely dead block of the Market Square facade on a side street, and 2) A parking lot that is a thriving market only one day a week for part of the year.
I could see it used for things like a Sunday flea market. Maybe occasional art and craft fairs. How about an exhibit of ice sculptures in the winter? Add in some food stalls and maybe a beer garden plus some music. It would work for me.

(11-27-2015, 01:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It was the Brittany restaurant.
My recollection agrees with Section ThirtyOne: Britania Fine Cuisine. An interesting selection of eastern European wines, IIRC.

Anyway, I can't really see this area being successful with the way it's currently configured.
I think if you could turn two of those nice houses into cozy multi-floor pubs (ala Hess Village, minus the college drunks), then you'd have a very attractive anchor without needing to reconsider the locations or configuration of the street. The idea that you can stand outside the pub in a small pedestrianized zone with your pint + the possibility could walk next door and get a different atmosphere is very appealing (at least to me).

Is there anything happening on the north side of King between Eby St. and the NewCitySupermarket? There is an empty lot on the corner, the neighbouring red-brick building was boarding up, as well as the old MorningGlory Bakery? Is 'The Hive' still vacant on the corner of King/Scott? I see a lot of potential to build up around the Market here if only there could be a coordinated effort by several small business owners to transform the neighbourhood from it's former seedy-past.
(11-28-2015, 11:14 AM)kidgibnick Wrote: I think if you could turn two of those nice houses into cozy multi-floor pubs (ala Hess Village, minus the college drunks), then you'd have a very attractive anchor without needing to reconsider the locations or configuration of the street. The idea that you can stand outside the pub in a small pedestrianized zone with your pint + the possibility could walk next door and get a different atmosphere is very appealing (at least to me).

Is there anything happening on the north side of King between Eby St. and the NewCitySupermarket? There is an empty lot on the corner, the neighbouring red-brick building was boarding up, as well as the old MorningGlory Bakery? Is 'The Hive' still vacant on the corner of King/Scott?  I see a lot of potential to build up around the Market here if only there could be a coordinated effort by several small business owners to transform the neighbourhood from it's former seedy-past.

The building beside the empty lot, formerly Braun's, has been undergoing a glacially slow renovation - the interior was gutted, new windows installed on the second floor and, just in the last couple of weeks, the hoarding on the streetfront was removed to show new stonework below the streetfront windows, which remain boarded up.  I don't know what the plan is, but the end result is going to look very good.  The buiidng next door, where the Morning Glory Cafe used to be, is being renovated for low cost apartments with commercial storefronts by the Working Centre.  That work is proceeding slowly, I think because the Working Centre relies on donations and other funding to move its projects forward.  I'm hoping that the work will include removal of the ugly vinyl that covers the brick exterior.  Meanwhile, the former Little Pinto Shop across the street is almost fully renovated and is looking terrific.
(11-27-2015, 09:59 PM)EdM Wrote:
(11-27-2015, 01:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It was the Brittany restaurant.
My recollection agrees with Section ThirtyOne: Britania Fine Cuisine. An interesting selection of eastern European wines, IIRC.

Anyway, I can't really see this area being successful with the way it's currently configured.

My recollection says Brittany.  Definitely French cuisine.

I think the area has good future potential, but maybe in 10-20 years, after the Market Square is redeveloped and the nearby section of King Street becomes more vibrant.  At the moment all it has is potential.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »