Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
900 King St W | 25 fl | U/C
I stand corrected. What short-term savings would require a 1-floor decrease that would ignore the long-term gain of that additional 1-floor rent?

Maybe they scrapped the plan with the hospital? I don't recall how much space they were planning to use though as there were no real details about anything. No real details as to why they applied for a height reduction either, but it's in the Site Plan Applications list.

Edit: It appears they also want to reduce the podium height as well, so if approved I guess it'll be 23 floors? Quote: "To reduce the podium and overall height of the building by one floor each." and it's listed as having conditional approval.
(07-06-2023, 07:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Maybe they scrapped the plan with the hospital? I don't recall how much space they were planning to use though as there were no real details about anything. No real details as to why they applied for a height reduction either, but it's in the Site Plan Applications list.

Edit: It appears they also want to reduce the podium height as well, so if approved I guess it'll be 23 floors? Quote: "To reduce the podium and overall height of the building by one floor each." and it's listed as having conditional approval.

Could very well be that interest rates and higher loan costs are a factor. I know Vive was saying that this is now an issue.
(07-06-2023, 07:08 PM)ac3r Wrote: Edit: It appears they also want to reduce the podium height as well, so if approved I guess it'll be 23 floors? Quote: "To reduce the podium and overall height of the building by one floor each." and it's listed as having conditional approval.

Reducing the podium by one floor and not adjusting the tower will reduce the overall height of the building by one floor. So, it really appears to be an adjustment to the podium only--maybe to reduce parking?
"One floor each" suggests the podium (eg ground level to top of podium) is losing one floor, as is the tower (eg top of podium to top of building). Unless it's just confusing wording and the updated architectural plans show something different.
(07-11-2023, 08:28 AM)nms Wrote: "One floor each" suggests the podium (eg ground level to top of podium) is losing one floor, as is the tower (eg top of podium to top of building).  Unless it's just confusing wording and the updated architectural plans show something different.

Yes, one floor each -- but it's overall and podium one floor each, not tower and podium one floor each.
There was a big concrete pour happening here yesterday when I was going by. Didn’t have time to snap a photo unfortunately, but there was the usual lineup of concrete trucks so I imagine they were pouring the foundation.

(09-10-2023, 05:34 PM)KingandWeber Wrote: There was a big concrete pour happening here yesterday when I was going by. Didn’t have time to snap a photo unfortunately, but there was the usual lineup of concrete trucks so I imagine they were pouring the foundation.

Yes, half the foundation and the four blocks for a crane base I'm guessing.
The tower crane is now up, it was actively moving stuff around when I went by earlier today.

Sorry about the quality of this photo, it was taken from the ION.

This one is above grade now.
They are starting to use precast panels on this building now.
Photo 
Here's a pic from the ion station today. 

By the way, does anyone know if the abandonment of the 18 pine building behind it is connected to this project, or just a coincidence?

18 Pine was purchased by Grand River Hospital. I forget what the plan for it was...either outpatient clinics or offices. They were doing a lot of interior work on it last year but I have no idea what the state of it is now.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »