Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
(11-23-2018, 03:35 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I find it hard to believe that they can fix up the brutalist building for less than what it would take to demolish it and start fresh with something they could then charge more for.

You say that as if "brutalist" were a bad thing! Wink

(11-23-2018, 03:35 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I find it hard to believe that they can fix up the brutalist building for less than what it would take to demolish it and start fresh with something they could then charge more for.

That's actually a good point.  Especially with what's being charged for high end office space
(11-23-2018, 09:02 PM)Spokes Wrote:

That's actually a good point.  Especially with what's being charged for high end office space

Regardless of the building, though, you simply won't be able to charge $15/sqft rents on Courtland. Not for now, at least.
(11-23-2018, 09:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 09:02 PM)Spokes Wrote: That's actually a good point.  Especially with what's being charged for high end office space

Regardless of the building, though, you simply won't be able to charge $15/sqft rents on Courtland. Not for now, at least.

Oh just wait and see...
When you coat everything in """luxury""" you can charge anything you want in a region with demand as high as this one.
(11-27-2018, 02:56 PM)urbd Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 09:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Regardless of the building, though, you simply won't be able to charge $15/sqft rents on Courtland. Not for now, at least.

Oh just wait and see...
When you coat everything in """luxury""" you can charge anything you want in a region with demand as high as this one.

Maybe for residential you could. But there is not the same level of frenzy in competing for office space, so I think it would still be a stretch. Maybe $10-12/sqft, depending on how they develop it.
It might be a bit odd to see high-end housing on that site, surrounded as it is by .... not high end. I'd see it as more appropriate to "middle", like the Joy townhouses across the tracks.
(11-27-2018, 03:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It might be a bit odd to see high-end housing on that site, surrounded as it is by .... not high end.  I'd see it as more appropriate to "middle", like the Joy townhouses across the tracks.

Yes, but as odd as it seems, it will be to the level of Barrelyards.

(11-27-2018, 04:03 PM)urbd Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 03:34 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It might be a bit odd to see high-end housing on that site, surrounded as it is by .... not high end.  I'd see it as more appropriate to "middle", like the Joy townhouses across the tracks.

Yes, but as odd as it seems, it will be to the level of Barrelyards.

My greatest fear - another BarrelYards (as in "yuck").
People that live at Barrel Yards do seem to quite like the buildings and the units themselves. The overall development, though, is dominated by the towers and the parking decks, and hopefully the Schneiders project will be more human-scale.
The units are very nice. The exteriors, however, I find cold and generally unpleasant.
(11-27-2018, 08:32 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The units are very nice.  The exteriors, however, I find cold and generally unpleasant.

Hopefully they'll take more inspiration from Arrow than from Barrel Yards. Unlike Barrel Yards, Schneiders is directly adjacent to an older residential area, so I expect to see more brick etc to fit it in with its neighbours.

But I'm merely speculating. We should see renders by springtime, though, I expect.
(11-27-2018, 07:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:03 PM)urbd Wrote: Yes, but as odd as it seems, it will be to the level of Barrelyards.

My greatest fear - another BarrelYards (as in "yuck").

Thus my comment about zero faith in Auburn.  Please prove me wrong Auburn, please prove me wrong.
Well this is interesting and cool. Very unexpected from this developer. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/930...-property/

(04-29-2019, 06:20 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Well this is interesting and cool. Very unexpected from this developer. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/930...-property/

I'M surprised that they would do this.
Thinking caps on - a trendy name that evokes meat packing, weiner smoking, and the rendering of lard ....

$10,000 may not be enough! ; )
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »