Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
A rare positive story in The Record https://www.therecord.com/news-story/943...velopment/

I'm shocked that they came up with a good name. Well done. I like it.
(06-15-2019, 07:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: "The Metz" is good, yes. "Olde Fashioned Way" makes me cringe, though.

Too hammy?
(06-15-2019, 09:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 07:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: "The Metz" is good, yes. "Olde Fashioned Way" makes me cringe, though.

Too hammy?

I know it's the way Schneiders spelled it on their products … but "Olde" isn't real Old English anyway, it should be "Auld" (or similar), "Olde" is a modern made-up word that is supposed to look old. Ugh.
Are they gonna have a bar on Olde Fashioned Way called "ye old pube" too?
(05-09-2019, 12:19 AM)Square Wrote: I was watching the Regional Council meeting about development charges and someone had a new? render of this development.  Two buildings I counted,  1 as 35 stories and another at 30!

Only thing is construction not starting till 2022 or (2024+ if this new higher development charge is approved)

As per the Record article : "with three reaching heights of 33 to 35 storeys ", lol my adding is still very close!
Is public input to be limited to the naming contest? That would seem unfortunate.

IMO, "Olde Fashioned" as a street name is cringe-worthy. It sounds like a name a 5 year old would come up with. I also don't like "The Metz". Using a little known middle name/maiden name is an odd way to honour the Schneider family. Most people in the community have never heard of the Metz name before, but everyone knows the Schneider name. It would be like naming the Rogers Centre under the name of Ed Rogers' mom's maiden name. Makes no sense.
The record article about the proposed development:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/947...ener-site/

Goes into a fair bit of detail, this is a very promising urban development. A mixed use development within walking distance of an LRT station. Includes about 2,800 dwellings for an estimated 5,200 people and 750 jobs. Still including 3,200 parking spaces, which seems like a lot for only 2,800 homes. I should like to see the jobs and home parking largely shared. The plan is for a large parking garage in the back, which could be shared, and putting all the cars some distance from homes would result in a disincentive to drive. Also, quite low on park space, well below the required, which you know, could improve if some of the parking and roads were switched to parking.
Interesting to hear of the traffic-impact concerns. Good connections to Ion will be key.
(06-27-2019, 07:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Interesting to hear of the traffic-impact concerns. Good connections to Ion will be key.

Concerns are from residents.  I give zero credibility to those concerns, traffic concerns are a default complaint by any person about any development.

I'm sure traffic studies will be done, and that'd be worth looking at.

Good connections with ION are key, but another very important key is a good mix of businesses and services in the development along with strong walking/biking connections within and to nearby.  Most trips are not commute trips (which are already more likely to be taken on transit), so ensuring those trips (shopping, appointments, childcare, etc. etc.) can be achieved within the development or easily at nearby businesses is at least as important.
(06-27-2019, 07:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The record article about the proposed development:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/947...ener-site/

Goes into a fair bit of detail, this is a very promising urban development.  A mixed use development within walking distance of an LRT station. Includes about 2,800 dwellings for an estimated 5,200 people and 750 jobs.  Still including 3,200 parking spaces, which seems like a lot for only 2,800 homes.  I should like to see the jobs and home parking largely shared.  The plan is for a large parking garage in the back, which could be shared, and putting all the cars some distance from homes would result in a disincentive to drive.  Also, quite low on park space, well below the required, which you know, could improve if some of the parking and roads were switched to parking.

Townhouses probably default to two spaces per dwelling so that will bring up the average.
Here are a few renderings of the master plan that have not yet been posted in this thread. They are not reflective of any potential architectural designs of the buildings, but give you an idea of what they have envisioned.

Render 1:
[Image: gKj3bde.png]

Render 2:
[Image: VuCsMkY.png]

Render 3:
[Image: jNuzNEX.png]

Render 4:
[Image: 8k0PGoV.png]

Render 5:
[Image: VfWQin4.png]

Render 6:
[Image: a0lksRR.png]

The fourth pic is the only one that I can relate to the Schneiders site and it seems to show the tall buildings toward Borden Ave (I thought they would be on the opposite side?). The image of the Coptic Church (Ottawa St near Mill) in the first pic adds to my confusion. Are they anticipating an additional LRT station or is that actually an imagined future Mill Station/ Ottawa-Mill intersection? Seems like it would be awfully close to Mill Station, although perhaps the anticipated density would justify it.
That LRT renders don't make any sense. Unless their property is larger than I realize, there's nowhere adjacent to the property that has bi-directional LRT tracks. The last render looks like Mill Station, but that's pretty far from their property. And the second-last render says Borden on the station, which means we're looking at the Grand River Rocks property, or across the street from it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »