Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
I think this is excellent news. Auburn is very much committed to Kitchener-Waterloo, with Arrow Lofts and Barrel Yards already (mostly) complete, and Alexandra and Arrow 2 still left. This development will keep them busy until probably 2025 ...

At least they are making the right noises:

""We are working on development concepts and have a vision for a range of housing forms and densities on the site along with some office, commercial space and parks."

One hopes for much more than a bigger Barrel Yards.
(10-03-2017, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think this is excellent news.  Auburn is very much committed to Kitchener-Waterloo, with Arrow Lofts and Barrel Yards already (mostly) complete, and Alexandra and Arrow 2 still left. This development will keep them busy until probably 2025 ...

Committed yes, but known for their bland, boring, and plain ugly architectural design choices (subjective, I know).
(10-03-2017, 11:09 AM)urbd Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 09:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think this is excellent news.  Auburn is very much committed to Kitchener-Waterloo, with Arrow Lofts and Barrel Yards already (mostly) complete, and Alexandra and Arrow 2 still left. This development will keep them busy until probably 2025 ...

Committed yes, but known for their bland, boring, and plain ugly architectural design choices (subjective, I know).

Are you referring to Arrow Lofts or to Barrel Yards?  As far as I know there are only two local projects that they have built.

And apparently no non-bland, non-boring, non-plain-ugly design company was willing to purchase the Schneider's lands.
Maybe we should start an "all brick, no stucco" campaign. Wink
(10-03-2017, 11:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Maybe we should start an "all brick, no stucco" campaign.  Wink

Actual stucco would be fine, but is no more likely to appear on a new building than actual brick.

Is there an formal name for pile-of-alternating-eifs-and-metal-clad-boxes vernacular?
(10-03-2017, 11:32 AM)kps Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 11:16 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Maybe we should start an "all brick, no stucco" campaign.  Wink

Actual stucco would be fine, but is no more likely to appear on a new building than actual brick.

Is there an formal name for pile-of-alternating-eifs-and-metal-clad-boxes vernacular?

Ugly?  Garrish?  Tacky?  Likely to need recladding in 20 years?  Smile

(10-03-2017, 11:13 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 11:09 AM)urbd Wrote: Committed yes, but known for their bland, boring, and plain ugly architectural design choices (subjective, I know).

Are you referring to Arrow Lofts or to Barrel Yards?  As far as I know there are only two local projects that they have built.

And apparently no non-bland, non-boring, non-plain-ugly design company was willing to purchase the Schneider's lands.

Yes referring to those 2 and their many other projects in other cities, especially London. Either way, this will be a good redevelopment project, and we're slowly seeing more interesting architecture in the region.
I actually think this is brutal. Auburn owns a ton of different properties in town and is doing nothing with them. Look how long Arrow Lofts took to get started. Barrelyards too. I worry that this won't start for like 10 years.
(10-03-2017, 12:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: I actually think this is brutal.  Auburn owns a ton of different properties in town and is doing nothing with them.  Look how long Arrow Lofts took to get started.  Barrelyards too.  I worry that this won't start for like 10 years.

As opposed to the current owner doing nothing with it for 10 years?
The Record story includes comments from the mayor:
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/759...developer/
Auburn has "half" completed the Barrel Yards.  I'm not being critical of them but this Schneider's project will be a very long play for them.  Whether they develop it or not, it's a good investment.
Realistically project this big will take 2-3 years to get off the ground (planning, zoning, design, approvals etc) so by that time they should be wrapping up Barrel Yards.

(10-03-2017, 12:46 PM)Spokes Wrote: I actually think this is brutal.  Auburn owns a ton of different properties in town and is doing nothing with them.  Look how long Arrow Lofts took to get started.  Barrelyards too.  I worry that this won't start for like 10 years.

I could see a row of towns or stacked towns going up along Borden very quickly - the demand would be strong, I suspect.  But you are right, Auburn seems not to be in a hurry with their projects.
(10-03-2017, 04:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

I could see a row of towns or stacked towns going up along Borden very quickly - the demand would be strong, I suspect.  But you are right, Auburn seems not to be in a hurry with their projects.

I wonder if Auburn has the necessary Capitol to bring a project this size to fruition.  They made need a partner.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »