Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
Correct! The centre, vertical steel guide wheel on the bogies only engages on switches. It means the primary guide rails can be simple and fixed.

Monorail Day Stop 1: the Wuppertal Schwebebahn!

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/88...6458300416

Next up: Dortmund University Siemens SIPEM Monorail.
I have to say, I'm a bit ho-hum about monorail, but i love the Wuppertal Schebebahn. There's something beautiful and almost Eiffel Tower-esque about it that concrete systems seem to lack. Similar elevated railways like the systems in Chicago and New York just don't seem to have the same elegance to them.
Kids rush aboard excited. Everyone goes to the back of the train to take photos. Drivers wave to people on the ground, and I even saw an elderly gentleman with his chair set up on a bridge over the river, under the tracks, looking up at every train as it went by. I'll never forget it.
Monorail Day Stop 2: the Siemens H-Bahn at Dortmund University!

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/88...2965836800

I love this system, and I wish this is what we had in Waterloo Region. The sections over the green spaces and trails make me think of what Waterloo Park could have looked like instead.
(07-06-2017, 10:15 AM)Canard Wrote: The sections over the green spaces and trails make me think of what Waterloo Park could have looked like instead.

To be fair, that's not entirely due to mode. Waterloo Park could look like this instead of like crap if our various elected representatives wanted it to.
Quote:To be fair, that's not entirely due to mode. Waterloo Park could look like this instead of like crap if our various elected representatives wanted it to.

There is a fence missing from that picture.

(07-06-2017, 11:20 AM)timc Wrote:
Quote:To be fair, that's not entirely due to mode. Waterloo Park could look like this instead of like crap if our various elected representatives wanted it to.

There is a fence missing from that picture.

“I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob.”
Monorail Day Stop3: the Düsseldorf SkyTrain!

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/88...6986513409

This is another Siemens SIPEM monorail, or H-Bahn. This one is like a full-scale implementation of the technology in a higher-capacity setting. I loved comparing all the differences between it and the Dortmund installation back-to-back!
(07-06-2017, 12:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Monorail Day Stop3: the Düsseldorf SkyTrain!

https://twitter.com/canardiain/status/88...6986513409

This is another Siemens SIPEM monorail, or H-Bahn. This one is like a full-scale implementation of the technology in a higher-capacity setting. I loved comparing all the differences between it and the Dortmund installation back-to-back!

Awesome! but only a couple stations right?
Wuppertal is about 20 stops, Dortmund and Düsseldorf are smaller peoplemover-sized systems with about 5 stations each.

(The number of stops has nothing to do with the technology, if that's where you were going)
(07-06-2017, 02:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Wuppertal is about 20 stops, Dortmund and Düsseldorf are smaller peoplemover-sized systems with about 5 stations each.

(The number of stops has nothing to do with the technology, if that's where you were going)

I wasn't going anywhere, I was just asking!
Okay Smile Sorry, just a little on the defence when it comes to monorails. Way too many haters out there! Cheers.

I love these displays (from the Helsinki Ring Rail line, using Stadlet FLIRT train sets).

On the platform:

Station indication inside the train:

Top speed!

Honolulu's plan is running into trouble.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »