Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
RUMOR: New Monorail Fleet Has Been Ordered For Walt Disney World
The new fleet will reportedly be built by Bombardier of Canada, the same company that built the Mark VI trains for Walt Disney World

Squeeee!

I adore the MK VI's. But if they have to be replaced, there's no-one better suited to do it than Bombardier.

Hopefully they'll be built in Kingston!

Quote:https://twitter.com/yegvalleyLRT/status/...5427430400    @yegvalleyLRT
. @doniveson @YEGMayorOffice  Thought you'd want to see the first @BombardierRail LRV loaded onto a rail car - set to begin its journey to #yeg. It will arrive right on time, in July!
[Image: Dgj0urfUcAAIRI8.jpg]
I didn't expect them to be able to put all seven segments on one car! Impressive.
FLEXITY Freedom promotional video for Edmonton:

The first Siemens CityVal tests are beginning in Rennes for ligne b at their OMSF (Garage Atelier):

The trams in Trieste, Italy, can climb steep hills by mating with an extra motive unit that gives them funicular-like climbing ability.

Another awesome video from my friend Luke:

That is seriously cool!
It's the only installation of Transrapid (my heart!!), and it's sad that during the day they only run it at 300 km/h (they save the 430 km/h full-speed runs for rush-hours, mornings and evenings). But it is amazing nevertheless.

My husband and good friend have both ridden it (separately) and both said that it was bumpy. This kills me!!!

The first minute of this is so me:

Is there a reason they limit the speed?

AFAIK, with traditional trains it's to reduce wear, but I wouldn't think that would apply to a maglev.
Probably just being cheap, reducing wear and electricity consumption in off-peak. Ridership is really low, sadly.
My spouse took it this year and didn't find it to be bumpy. Also not crowded.

I've posted about US FRA rules, right? Apparently they're now more flexible:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/11/23/u...rain-cars/
(11-23-2018, 10:33 PM)plam Wrote: I've posted about US FRA rules, right? Apparently they're now more flexible:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/11/23/u...rain-cars/

I love this quote from that article:

Quote:Former Amtrak CEO David Gunn complained U.S. trains had to be designed like “high-velocity bank vaults.” Rather than just bulk up, European and Asian trains instead are designed to absorb impacts and avoid collisions in the first place. And they have better safety records.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »