Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
(08-20-2021, 11:16 AM)Acitta Wrote: Why is a new grocery store in downtown Kitchener inaccessible to people in wheelchairs?

“We’re rejuvenating Kitchener,” said Parsons. “Are we building a Kitchener for everyone, or a Kitchener for some?”

It's unfortunate that the store does not provide an elevator. And I do agree that the city does not have a mechanism for enforcing accessibility beyond the building code.

However, that doesn't mean that all the rest of DTK is inaccessible.

It's very unfortunate they didn't plan for an accessible entrance. And it's not just the step from the sidewalk, there's a half flight of stairs. This will alienate not just the disabled, but parents with strollers and other cases.

Hopefully they come around, and find a way to retrofit something.
A ramp on the stairs and a cheap wheelchair elevator could have been installed for next to nothing. I wonder what their justification was for not doing so.
Damn, even J&P had a wheelchair elevator, and I feel like they were way worse-off for funding than this bougie place is. There seemed like there was even a perfect spot right at the entrance for it
(08-20-2021, 02:07 PM)ac3r Wrote: A ramp on the stairs and a cheap wheelchair elevator could have been installed for next to nothing. I wonder what their justification was for not doing so.
The grade of the ramp would probably be too steep but I do agree a small lift would make sense. They are relatively inexpensive and could be retrofitted in fairly easily.
(08-20-2021, 02:07 PM)ac3r Wrote: A ramp on the stairs and a cheap wheelchair elevator could have been installed for next to nothing. I wonder what their justification was for not doing so.

A small elevator (similar to J&P) could have been installed to the left of the stairs. However, it looks like they are going to use that space for a take-out counter.
(08-20-2021, 05:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

A small elevator (similar to J&P) could have been installed to the left of the stairs. However, it looks like they are going to use that space for a take-out counter.

That also wouldn't have made the store accessible, there's still the single step up from King St.

They likely can't lower that front area, as the condo parking garage is underneath and that's probably its concrete roof. The only real option would be a substantial regrading of the sidewalk along King St.

(08-20-2021, 07:33 PM)taylortbb Wrote: That also wouldn't have made the store accessible, there's still the single step up from King St.

They likely can't lower that front area, as the condo parking garage is underneath and that's probably its concrete roof. The only real option would be a substantial regrading of the sidewalk along King St.

The grade is less (as it's uphill) to the left of the door. If the ramp hugs the building it could be done without massive work.
I'm sure it's legal, but I still appreciated the article and discussion. I've walked by the store several times since it opened, but still haven't been inside because I always had a stroller with me. It's frustrating, and I'm sure much more so for people with physical disabilities that prevent them from ever going in.

Even if they're not legally required to, I hope the owners eventually find a way to add an alternate entrance or squeeze a ramp & elevator in or something. It's such a feel bad moment, passing by the fancy new store you're physically unable to enter.
I tend to find that when we create infrastructure that works well for those with accessibility or other considerations, it tends to work well for those without those specific needs as well. As others pointed out, this isn't just inaccessible to people who use scooters and wheelchairs but also caregivers with strollers. Also, I know I tend to use one of those market rolling cart things often when shopping downtown. While I can manage stairs okay, I prefer spaces that don't have me navigating stairs with it.

That being said, this is definitely not the only business in the core that has this issue. I'd love to know how we can push for more accessible spaces, even when not technically required.
(08-20-2021, 07:33 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-20-2021, 05:30 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A small elevator (similar to J&P) could have been installed to the left of the stairs. However, it looks like they are going to use that space for a take-out counter.

That also wouldn't have made the store accessible, there's still the single step up from King St.

The single step is not a reason not to be accessible. The sidewalk could be re-graded by that much, and should be anyway because single steps outdoors (or in) are a menace.

I saw an article in the paper Record (was visiting somebody who takes it) in which they claimed it wasn’t “possible” to retrofit any sort of elevator. I find that a bit hard to believe. In the entire building there is no corner where a lift could be installed, when they were gutting the entire floor? Especially given the comments here about the space next to the stairs at the entrance. Maybe they would have to re-think the location of their take-out counter a bit.

I just worry that the reaction to this will be eventually to make accessibility mandates more complete, but overdoing it so that old buildings, especially small ones, become almost impossible to use. Based on what I’ve seen, I think I’d be OK with saying that this place isn’t allowed to operate unless they fix their accessibility problem, but there are buildings where that would definitely be inappropriate.
Noticed a bunch of brand new (ie, unopened) commercial kitchen equipment in the empty unit beside crafty ramen. New tenant moving in? Still bare drywall and such inside, so seems odd to have equipment delivered this early if so
(03-06-2022, 06:36 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Noticed a bunch of brand new (ie, unopened) commercial kitchen equipment in the empty unit beside crafty ramen. New tenant moving in? Still bare drywall and such inside, so seems odd to have equipment delivered this early if so

I am involved in the construction world and I can say that these days if anything you ordered is available to ship you take it no matter what, even if it's not time for it.  Some projects are waiting months for certain items and spending extra to create temporary workarounds etc., it's a real disaster.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »