Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aud
Quote:One of the biggest names in comedy is coming to Kitchener later this year.

Jerry Seinfeld is bringing his latest tour to The Aud on Thursday, May 30.
https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ay-1245409

Article on looking ahead with the Aud nearly 70 years young.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/981...game-over/
Campaign for a new arena ahead?
Interesting article. I do think it is time to start thinking about replacement of the 70 year old building. Look at building new building with the necessary amenities to host concerts, memorial cup, maybe even world juniors. Personally i think they could they could just rebuild on the current site. I know that the Panthers have been looking to build a new ball park as well so Maybe just make a master plan for the aud site to include the new stadium, new ball park, parking garage and then develop the rest into a mixed use neighborhood. Purely fantasy mode here now, but if a local wealthy sports fan really wanted to go crazy, rebuild centennial stadium into a 20-25,000 stadium and bring a CFL/CPL team to the region.  

Anyways looks like a local developer in Hamilton is saving the downtown arena with $200 million in investment:

"Developer going all in on new downtown Hamilton arena

Vrancor Group is offering to 'reinvent' Hamilton's FirstOntario Centre. Rick Zamperin/900 CHML

There appears to be a white knight for Hamilton’s downtown arena.

Vrancor Group has provided the City with a term sheet which outlines the company’s intent to “redevelop Hamilton’s entertainment and convention properties.”

The $200-million proposal says Vrancor will “fully reinvent FirstOntario Centre into a state of the art and technologically modern facility,” while not requesting operating subsidies.

The plan also calls for the expansion and modernization of the Hamilton Convention Centre by doubling its hosting capability and adding a new four-star hotel in the downtown core.

The term sheet also says the City will continue to own the arena and FirstOntario Concert Hall and that Vrancor would be the operator.

The company has been behind the construction of new hotels, commercial and residential buildings in downtown Hamilton over the last 15 years.

On Wednesday, Hamilton councillors rubber-stamped a decision to not pursue a new arena project at Limeride Mall that had been spearheaded by Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer and Cadillac Fairview.

Andlauer had offered to spend $30 million on the project that included a 6,000-seat arena and parking garage at the mall.

Key points in Vrancor Group’s term sheet:

Vrancor will not request operating subsidies for any of Hamilton’s entertainment/convention properties
The City will continue to own FirstOntario Centre and FirstOntario Concert Hall, Vrancor would operate the facilities through a long-term licensing arrangement
Vrancor will not ask the City to borrow any money, or draw upon any reserves to contribute towards the development
A new four-star hotel will be constructed in downtown Hamilton to serve an expanded Hamilton Convention Centre"
(01-24-2020, 06:24 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Article on looking ahead with the Aud nearly 70 years young.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/981...game-over/

If this is the start of the process I say build it on top of the transit station at King and Vic (like MSG) or the former Centennial Stadium land.

I always thought they should have built an arena on the old Epton site when that land was an option so I really like the transit station location.
I vote for the current transit lands...
Big Grin 
I think it would be great to have the arena right downtown, but I just don't think the Transit hub is a big enough site for house an arena. The only site big enough would be the manulife parking lot or dare i say it market square. Market square would be my vote purely for a good reason to tear that building down. Big Grin

The transit site is approximately the same size as where Budd Gardens is in London. And this is right on the ION ..
If it were me, I'd be looking at the existing site (more precisely behind or beside the existing Aud), or a new site in the King/Charles/Stirling/Borden/Ottawa area. Maybe something in the 10,000 to 12,000 seat range? What would it cost? Something north of $150million?
I love the existing site location. It is great for cars... However, I love the idea of going to a restaurant before or after the event. It would be a huge boom to the DTK businesses...
(01-24-2020, 12:37 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The transit site is approximately the same size as where Budd Gardens is in London.  And this is right on the ION ..
 Is that true? If so I think that would be an amazing spot for an arena.
Yes, someone provided the dimensions via Google maps on another thread. They were very similar in size. The other advantage of this location is there is a lot of parking in a very short walk to the location. City hall garage, Charles Street garage,Duke Street garage and many surface spots.
(01-24-2020, 12:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If it were me, I'd be looking at the existing site (more precisely behind or beside the existing Aud), or a new site in the King/Charles/Stirling/Borden/Ottawa area.  Maybe something in the 10,000 to 12,000 seat range?  What would it cost?  Something north of $150million?

I think behind the twin pads would be an ideal location, where Centennial Stadium use to be. It's the right size. That other site you are talking about has been spoken for. Either way, probably 10 years away before we see much in the way of movement in terms of a new arena.

They won't get rid of the old arena, but I wonder how they could repurpose it, perhaps privately, so that we could perhaps have restaurants and coffee shops there, and perhaps some indoor parking. I to see potential here.

As for size, you probably want closer to 12,000 for more event draws (like concerts), but for hockey, you don't need too much larger than what we have now, otherwise you have a situation that you have in Hamilton, the upper bowl is 100% empty, and the lower bowl is more than 50% empty. No one likes empty seats.

I know some like the idea of a downtown arena, but if Hamilton serves as a lesson, is that smaller cities do have a difficult time filling up their arena's with their regular tenants. Parking in Hamilton is horrible, just a lot of walking and not great for people with limited mobility. So you would have to wonder how the Rangers would do in a bad season -- will people want to pay $15+ for parking, walk 10 or 15 minutes or more to get to The Aud? Both City Hall garage and D&O have limited space due to monthly passes. Of the 3,400 spots in DTK, there might only be 1,700 available for use at night (this includes the Library parking lot and garage, and The Kitchener Market garage - a bit of a walk), if that. Unsure how Market Square or Manulife could factor in but 1,700 spots simply isn't enough.

Having just watching what CKCO was saying, it does seem that people like the current location (easy to access). Interesting take from the one staff member from the KW Titans -- mentioning that Uptown (Waterloo? Where?) would be an ideal location. Kitchener would never build an arena for Waterloo. But if that's an issue for the Titans, the Waterloo Rec centre IS close to uptown and it does have nearby restaurants, yet no interest in setting up shop there. Parking is a massive issue. Unless she meant DT Kitchener.

(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think behind the twin pads would be an ideal location, where Centennial Stadium use to be.

I'll be very surprised if the city does something not along the ION route, and at least somewhat surprised if it's not downtown. The benefits to downtown business would be significant, the parking already exists in far greater quantities than the Aud site. It also generally fits with the current city priority of revitalizing downtown.

(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)jeffster Wrote: I know some like the idea of a downtown arena, but if Hamilton serves as a lesson, is that smaller cities do have a difficult time filling up their arena's with their regular tenants. Parking in Hamilton is horrible, just a lot of walking and not great for people with limited mobility. So you would have to wonder how the Rangers would do in a bad season -- will people want to pay $15+ for parking, walk 10 or 15 minutes or more to get to The Aud? Both City Hall garage and D&O have limited space due to monthly passes. Of the 3,400 spots in DTK, there might only be 1,700 available for use at night (this includes the Library parking lot and garage, and The Kitchener Market garage - a bit of a walk), if that. Unsure how Market Square or Manulife could factor in but 1,700 spots simply isn't enough.

I can see the city doing a game day rate of $5 flat parking starting at 6pm or something. No reason it would be $15, even at currently hourly rates a game just isn't that long. I don't see monthly passes being a huge factor. Except for a small number of spots at Duke/Ontario monthly passes don't come with reserved spots, just general access to the garage. The city can calculate how many monthly parkers are there in the evening, reduce a bit for margin of safety, and sell the rest.

3400 is just the city-owned spots. Market Square has a huge garage, with another several hundred spots. A number of downtown office buildings also have underground parking that they'd probably happily sell to the public if there was a market for it. I think the DTK parking total is more like 5000-6000 spots. The current Aud has less than 1700 spots, so I wouldn't say it's "simply not enough". Even if the venue is larger there's the ION/GRT factor with being downtown.
(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 12:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: If it were me, I'd be looking at the existing site (more precisely behind or beside the existing Aud), or a new site in the King/Charles/Stirling/Borden/Ottawa area.  Maybe something in the 10,000 to 12,000 seat range?  What would it cost?  Something north of $150million?

I think behind the twin pads would be an ideal location, where Centennial Stadium use to be. It's the right size. That other site you are talking about has been spoken for. Either way, probably 10 years away before we see much in the way of movement in terms of a new arena.

Tell us more!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »