Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aud
(01-24-2020, 08:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)jeffster Wrote: I think behind the twin pads would be an ideal location, where Centennial Stadium use to be. It's the right size. That other site you are talking about has been spoken for. Either way, probably 10 years away before we see much in the way of movement in terms of a new arena.

Tell us more!

http://perimeterdevelopment.com/the-junction/

This would be the block of Stirling, King, Bordon and Charles.

Now that you mentioned Bordon, I just thought that perhaps maybe a new arena could be part of the Schneiders redevelopment.

(01-24-2020, 07:01 PM)jeffster Wrote: So you would have to wonder how the Rangers would do in a bad season -- will people want to pay $15+ for parking, walk 10 or 15 minutes or more to get to The Aud? Both City Hall garage and D&O have limited space due to monthly passes. Of the 3,400 spots in DTK, there might only be 1,700 available for use at night (this includes the Library parking lot and garage, and The Kitchener Market garage - a bit of a walk), if that. Unsure how Market Square or Manulife could factor in but 1,700 spots simply isn't enough.

Three-hour parking at either Ontario St or Charles/Benton garages currently costs $6.80, with no special event parking
(01-24-2020, 03:07 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 12:37 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The transit site is approximately the same size as where Budd Gardens is in London.  And this is right on the ION ..
 Is that true? If so I think that would be an amazing spot for an arena.
The mayor says that spot would be a tight squeeze but it could be done so it sounds like they have had some (likely very unofficial) discussions about the site as home to a  arena.
Second part of the Record article on the Aud.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-story/9...tm_content=
I wonder whether City Council would be inclined to start working on funding for a new arena, knowing that by the time it's built they'll likely no longer be in their positions? Not much incentive there, istm.
(01-25-2020, 02:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder whether City Council would be inclined to start working on funding for a new arena, knowing that by the time it's built they'll likely no longer be in their positions?  Not much incentive there, istm.

That's hard to say that they wouldn't be. If the target is 10 years (so 2030 opening), I betcha a lot would still be at city hall. There might be some churn, but no one knows for sure. And either way, they'd get an official invite to the grand opening.
(01-25-2020, 02:55 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder whether City Council would be inclined to start working on funding for a new arena, knowing that by the time it's built they'll likely no longer be in their positions?  Not much incentive there, istm.

The (regional) council did do that for the LRT, knowing that completion would be an election or two away.

Another way to get around the parking issue is free transit for ticket holders - show your ticket to a bus driver or fare inspector and no need for other fare. You let this be active for, say, 90-120 minutes both before and after the game (perhaps even longer after, to boost business for bars near the arena).

A number of cities do this successfully. Those driving from out of town can park at the perimeter, and those in town have less incentive to drive.
Just realized another issue for a downtown location --- working positions for the new Aud might be difficult to fill. As it stands, employees get free parking. It's doubtful that any full-timers will want to move and take a $200 paycheque cut. Same applies to part-timers that normally drive to The Aud. Unless they have some sort of employee only parking, but I can't see the city doing that, as city hall workers have to pay. They could make a special pay rate for city employees at The Aud, but who knows.
(01-25-2020, 11:42 PM)KevinL Wrote: Another way to get around the parking issue is free transit for ticket holders - show your ticket to a bus driver or fare inspector and no need for other fare. You let this be active for, say, 90-120 minutes both before and after the game (perhaps even longer after, to boost business for bars near the arena).

A number of cities do this successfully. Those driving from out of town can park at the perimeter, and those in town have less incentive to drive.

Why would you make transit free precisely when it is under the greatest demand?

If transit is to be free, it should start with late nights and mid day (and none of this “for seniors” nonsense, which I’m increasingly finding hard to believe can be “demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society”).
(01-26-2020, 02:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Why would you make transit free precisely when it is under the greatest demand?

If transit is to be free, it should start with late nights and mid day (and none of this “for seniors” nonsense, which I’m increasingly finding hard to believe can be “demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society”).
As a low income senior, I appreciate the discounted fare.
I really don't see a site in DTK that I would consider big enough for a new arena, except perhaps in the Innovation District. The old transit station would just be too tight a squeeze, istm - there should be a public plaza out front, for example.
(01-25-2020, 11:42 PM)KevinL Wrote: Another way to get around the parking issue is free transit for ticket holders - show your ticket to a bus driver or fare inspector and no need for other fare. You let this be active for, say, 90-120 minutes both before and after the game (perhaps even longer after, to boost business for bars near the arena).

I have to wonder what cities are doing this successfully? And how does this affect the type of arrangement the Rangers have now (free to some degree): https://kitchenerrangers.com/article/rid...estaurants

I don't see "free" Ion or bus tickets unless they have a paying sponsor, as the Ion was super expensive, I don't think Joe Taxpayer wants to subsidize Rangers fans.

And again, another huge issue would be parking for employees, as I mentioned before. No one wants to pay parking, especially the part-timers, as it would cut too much into their take home pay. Only solution would be for the city to have a special pay rate (a premium) for all employees working at The Aud, above and beyond to what those make a community arena's and the two twin pads (SportsWorld and Activa). However, that would no go well with those at City Hall, who do not get a special allowance because of parking.

Just some things to consider.

They can build underground parking too
Why can't the employees take public transit? No parking needed.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »