Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C
Elevate Condos

1333 Weber St E

https://elevatecondoliving.com/

From The Record

Quote:The proposal includes two 12-storey towers and two 15-storey towers on the site at 1333 Weber St. E. The four towers would provide 544 condo apartments, 585 underground parking spots and more than 14,000 square feet of commercial space.

The 1.43-hectare (3.5-acre) site, which sits on Weber between a Beer Store and Hiway Zehrs, is now occupied by the four-storey hotel and is owned by Pamata Hospitality Inc., which has applied for the zoning changes.

[...]

The city planning department is recommending approval, but is also calling for several holding provisions that would prevent any development from happening until several conditions are met:

• The most important of these conditions is upgrades to the sanitary services in the area. The city recently upgraded the sanitary pumping station at Freeport that services the area, but the force mains that will take the sewage underneath Highway 8 and on to the Kitchener sewage treatment plant in Doon have yet to be built, and the development freeze for the area could be in place until at least 2019, and possibly 2025, said Linda Cooper, manager of development engineering in Kitchener.

• As well, the developer must carry out detailed noise studies for each phase of the development, to ensure the people living in the highrises won't be subjected to excessive noise from nearby Highway 8 or surrounding businesses.

• The developer must also submit a report on the site's condition to ensure there is no contamination because chemicals such as chlorine are now stored on the site to treat the hotel pool and hot tub, said Rob Horne, Waterloo Region's planning commissioner.

[/mod]
[Original OP follows]
Wasn't sure where to post this, or if it already had been:

Cluster of four highrise condos proposed for Weber Street East

The towers look moderately nice from the renderings, and I fully support the development, but I can't help but feel this is a strange place to put 4 new towers. Fairly set back from the downtown core, the type of residential this area is used to (I believe) is low-income, but that's not what these towers look like. At any rate, It'll no doubt be good for the area.
This is well deserving of it's own thread. The towers do look nice from the drawings but as stated in the article it could be many years in the future before anything happens. This area has a development freeze?
Good riddance to that Hojo, that place is super seedy. The location seems pretty decent, there is a lot of commercial nearby as well as easy highway access so I can see the wide appeal that place would have.
It would be nice if this complex could be designed in such a way that they interact well with Weber, and provide street-fronting commercial there. Weber East is generally a terrible stroad through there, but a few newer buildings gave a bit of consideration to the street in their design and the street could be improved. If these high-rises don’t force their occupants to walk across a big parking lot (the renders don’t look like that’s the case), someone living there could have very good access to the expressway but also be right next door to a full-service grocery store and a short walk from others and restaurants and other useful things.

This stretch is obviously not really anything special, but this would be a big opportunity to move it towards improved walkability. The render looks good from that perspective, and I hope the City of Kitchener would try to ensure it serves that purpose.
Howard Johnson Redevelopment

1333 Weber St E

From The Record

Quote:The proposal includes two 12-storey towers and two 15-storey towers on the site at 1333 Weber St. E. The four towers would provide 544 condo apartments, 585 underground parking spots and more than 14,000 square feet of commercial space.

The 1.43-hectare (3.5-acre) site, which sits on Weber between a Beer Store and Hiway Zehrs, is now occupied by the four-storey hotel and is owned by Pamata Hospitality Inc., which has applied for the zoning changes.

[...]

The city planning department is recommending approval, but is also calling for several holding provisions that would prevent any development from happening until several conditions are met:

• The most important of these conditions is upgrades to the sanitary services in the area. The city recently upgraded the sanitary pumping station at Freeport that services the area, but the force mains that will take the sewage underneath Highway 8 and on to the Kitchener sewage treatment plant in Doon have yet to be built, and the development freeze for the area could be in place until at least 2019, and possibly 2025, said Linda Cooper, manager of development engineering in Kitchener.

• As well, the developer must carry out detailed noise studies for each phase of the development, to ensure the people living in the highrises won't be subjected to excessive noise from nearby Highway 8 or surrounding businesses.

• The developer must also submit a report on the site's condition to ensure there is no contamination because chemicals such as chlorine are now stored on the site to treat the hotel pool and hot tub, said Rob Horne, Waterloo Region's planning commissioner.

[edit] Curses, I couldn't remain the first post in a new thread once I moved the discussion in here. Copying this into the OP.
Swimming pool-related contamination is not usually a major problem, but the sewage mains issue (and the resulting development freeze) could leave us with a further-deteriorating Hojo for many years yet.

(02-08-2016, 09:41 AM)clasher Wrote: Good riddance to that Hojo, that place is super seedy. The location seems pretty decent, there is a lot of commercial nearby as well as easy highway access so I can see the wide appeal that place would have.

The Hojo is the Waldorf-Astoria compared to the neighbouring Knights Inn/Sherwood Inn.
(02-08-2016, 12:40 PM)Drake Wrote:
(02-08-2016, 09:41 AM)clasher Wrote: Good riddance to that Hojo, that place is super seedy. The location seems pretty decent, there is a lot of commercial nearby as well as easy highway access so I can see the wide appeal that place would have.

The Hojo is the Waldorf-Astoria compared to the neighbouring Knights Inn/Sherwood Inn.

Prostitutes need a place to work too !!!
Regardless of the occupations and social status of long-term residents in motels, motels do fill a certain housing need. Hopefully those who live in places like this will not be left behind, or worse on the streets, for lack of viable alternatives for housing.
I'm 99% sure that this development will never happen. This is simply a play to get a zoning change and then sell the property for more then what it's currently worth.
I can't say whether this will go here or not but the area is definitely being developed. It's been the home to one awful hotel and a chain of failed bar/restaurants for as long as I can recall. Does anyone remember when there used to be a road back there that connected to The Beer Store and a few other properties? When they widened the highway, it kind of sealed their fate, along with the weird location and bad reputation it has. As I've always been told the Hells Angel's have a stake in most of the hotels along Weber Street and the region also houses people on waiting lists for social housing there. It's a pretty low income area in general.
That was King Street East back there before the highway was widened.

This hotel as well as the other two further South on Weber (Sherwood and Knights Inn) would do the neighborhood a huge boost!!
(02-10-2016, 08:40 PM)timc Wrote: That was King Street East back there before the highway was widened.

For a long time.  The highway widening was this millenium, as I recall. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »