Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C
(10-25-2019, 07:27 AM)neonjoe Wrote: The former Knights in... aka Weber Inn is downright scary IMO

I believe it's a sort of an unofficial residential/apartment hotel. I've always been told that many people stay there when on social assistance of some sort (my family would call it a welfare hotel). It's sketchy, but I guess the people staying there need somewhere to stay and that beats the streets. One time I found a random dog walking behind it down Weber Street. I managed to find some people sitting out in chairs and at first glance you'd think they'd rob you but they were pretty relaxed and went to get their dog haha. Generally that stretch of Weber is bad, though. There is even a volunteer organization (not idea if they still operate) that drive around in some van doing needle exchanges and offering any assistance they can, often stopping at the various sketchy motels around there.

(10-25-2019, 03:16 PM)sevenman Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 07:56 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Related to this discussion, does anybody know when the intersection of King and Weber in this area became a straight-through transition from King to Weber rather than an intersection with Weber ending at King?
  It was when Hwy 8 was widened in that area.  They required the space to widen the Hwy from 4 to 8 lanes and consequently King St. was removed from the Weber intersection to Wilfred Ave..  The large retaining wall was shifted over and the Franklin bridge was also extended.
  The Freeport area became as it is now when the current Hwy 8 bypass was built in 1987.

King St. still exists from just north of the King/Weber (former) intersection to north of Kinzie.

I don’t recall with full detail, but I’m pretty sure the widening only removed it north of the remaining small section (including the section which used to have the Dairy Queen). I’m wondering specifically about the intersection between the two streets. The other answer that it was when the expressway was first constructed certainly makes sense.
King went straight through, and Weber met it at an angle. Visit the Region GIS map and select the ‘2000 imagery’ layer.
(10-25-2019, 06:09 PM)kps Wrote: King went straight through, and Weber met it at an angle. Visit the Region GIS map and select the ‘2000 imagery’ layer.

Thanks for pointing me at that. I guess they decided there was no point in having that awkward intersection with King being reduced to a two block remnant.
(10-12-2019, 06:14 PM)Acitta Wrote: On Fergus Ave.: the sign says "Coming Summer 2019". 
This doesn't belong here. This is the other side of Weber. I didn't post it in this thread.
Someone I knew worked at the Weber St Howard Johnson a few years ago and some of the stories that they told me about the place were amongst some of the nastiest things I have heard. I won't miss it.
(10-26-2019, 08:27 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Someone I knew worked at the Weber St Howard Johnson a few years ago and some of the stories that they told me about the place were amongst some of the nastiest things I have heard. I won't miss it.

The HoJo was fine as long as you had all of your shots including every optional shot, including the ebola shot and rabies shots.

(10-26-2019, 11:50 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 06:14 PM)Acitta Wrote: On Fergus Ave.: the sign says "Coming Summer 2019". 
This doesn't belong here. This is the other side of Weber. I didn't post it in this thread.
My mistake, I thought it was that one.  I moved it back
(10-27-2019, 06:19 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-26-2019, 08:27 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Someone I knew worked at the Weber St Howard Johnson a few years ago and some of the stories that they told me about the place were amongst some of the nastiest things I have heard. I won't miss it.

The HoJo was fine as long as you had all of your shots including every optional shot, including the ebola shot and rabies shots.

I hadn't realized that it still operated as a hotel.  I thought it mainly housed refugees waiting for permanent accomodation.
There is a sales centre under construction on this site. I was surprised to see travelling by this afternoon.
Demolition has begun
I walked by about a week ago and they were tossing all the old furniture out the windows. Glad to see this finally getting demolished, it was so sleazy. I hope the new buildings look good - it's a bit hard to judge from the renders.

Are there any updated, and more detailed, renders?
It would be nice if they got rid of a few of the other trashy hotels along this stretch of road. The Knights Inn and Fairway Inn and Suites are awful places. They sit on some pretty good property too, with highway access and a lot of shops nearby. I could see them one day being rezoned to allow some residential, and more developments going in there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »