Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Elevate Condos (1333 Weber St E) | 15, 15, 12 & 12 fl | U/C
King st E actually still exists there in a little strip behind two of the hotels. It was a much different landscape less than 20 years ago. Anybody remember the old Dairy Queen?

It was the best of the locations, for some reason I no longer recall.
Proposed development would put over 500 condo units in Kitchener neighbourhood. This is the site of the old Howard Johnson at Weber and Fergus.
Would be nice to see the end of that HoJo's. Pretty convenient location for condos as well, although I'd not want to be facing the highway. With four towers, one assumes this could be developed over time.
Some new news on this development.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/proposed-de...-1.4652715
I'll be honest, for some reason I never thought this project would happen so this is great news. I'm happy to eat crow on this one.
I am happy to see some progress in this area of town. A part of me wish the development was restricted to 6 stories. If demand is there to live in this eara of the city. more property owners with huge parking lots making them no money would consider redeveloping them. A walkable neighborhood would be built quicker. I have a feeling this one will suck up any demand there might be for the area and we will see 4 towers In a sea of strip malls for decades to come.

Its a pretty convenient area if you need groceries. The area is decent for services with the Hi Way Centre, Freshco and Shoppers within walking distance. Also only one bus transfer to LRT and easy highway access if the residents still do drive.
Just getting rid of the Howard Johnson is a huge improvement over the area. This strip of Weber has the seediest hotels in the city. Knock down the Fairway Inn and Suites next.
(10-24-2019, 02:00 PM)ac3r Wrote: Just getting rid of the Howard Johnson is a huge improvement over the area. This strip of Weber has the seediest hotels in the city. Knock down the Fairway Inn and Suites next.

I see your seedy strip of hotels and raise you Victoria Street's trifecta of Mayflower, Kitchener and Victoria. But these are motels so maybe an apples and oranges thing.

I wouldn't be sad to see the Ho Jo go. It's been an eyesore for a long time and I think they gave up maintaining it years ago.
The former Knights in... aka Weber Inn is downright scary IMO
Related to this discussion, does anybody know when the intersection of King and Weber in this area became a straight-through transition from King to Weber rather than an intersection with Weber ending at King?
My guess is when the freeport diversion of highway 8 was built.

(10-25-2019, 10:46 AM)neonjoe Wrote: My guess is when the freeport diversion of highway 8 was built.
Correct
(10-25-2019, 07:56 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Related to this discussion, does anybody know when the intersection of King and Weber in this area became a straight-through transition from King to Weber rather than an intersection with Weber ending at King?
  It was when Hwy 8 was widened in that area.  They required the space to widen the Hwy from 4 to 8 lanes and consequently King St. was removed from the Weber intersection to Wilfred Ave..  The large retaining wall was shifted over and the Franklin bridge was also extended.
  The Freeport area became as it is now when the current Hwy 8 bypass was built in 1987.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »