Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(04-12-2021, 11:58 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 10:14 AM)Tony_Plow Wrote: There's signage up for a new resto/bar/lounge called "The Alchemiste" opening Fall 2021 in the old Brick Brewery building.  I've seen the renderings and they're jaw-droppingly good.
As an aside, I really wish they could implement a plan to extend the retail streetscape from William to Union and make this corridor more pedestrian friendly.  There is such a high density of new condos in this corridor (with more on the horizon).  Longer term, I would love to see Chartwell relocate its retirement home or rebuild and replace the park at the corner of William and King with ground-level retail.
Great to hear another restaurant is planning on opening up. I will definitely be checking this out when the pandemic is over. Have to disagree with you slightly. I don't want to see the park space replaced. Cities should be looking at ways to increase park space not replace it. Ideally they should get rid of Kuntz lane and the parking and make Brewmeister Green Park bigger  I had heard a while back that the funeral home had been looking to sell or had been sold to a developer? so if you include that potential redevelopment and the redevelopment of the adult recreational centre that stretch of king will have a nice retail presence.  I can't see chartwell relocating the retirement home anytime soon. Its not that old and it is probably a more popular retirement home based on its location.  Its too bad the old Kuntz/ Labatts was torn down and replaced with bungalows, but I guess it was a different time for urban development and the city would take anything they could get.

I agree! I like the park space. Is it public or is it a private space that just has the feel of a park? I'd be indifferent if they redeveloped the building, but I'd like to see that park space be more actively used! If there was more to do around it, I'm sure it would help!

The park space on either side of King Street at William is public land. It is Waterloo's oldest surviving public parks or square. Two others were ultimately sold off for developments which became the Molson Bank/Bank of Montreal at King/Erb and the KMPG/Marsland Tower at Erb/Albert where the former City Hall used to be.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »