Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
I was admiring the emerging façade from the Ion this morning. I think it looks all right. I think ac3r is right that it looks a big hulking on its own, but might look much less so with other towers around- and I hope there will be other towers around it before too long.

I think the last of the normal floors (The 19th) is up. The website list a Unit #5000 penthouse suite that might still be to come, plus possibly some sort of rooftop utilities or amenity space. They seem to be starting on a perimeter railing at this level though, at least on the back side.

Looks like mostly utilities space (Air handling and cooling, etc) still being added.
Apologies for the image quality, none of this is visible from steet level since it is all inset from the edge. I had to take this from the back of the city center lot.

Thanks for the photo updates!
I can't figure out why they started with the windows while leaving the hulking mass of grey concrete. It looks massive at the moment, especially from Willis Way Station. But I think once the black cladding gets up over the concrete it'll look rather good. Definitely one of the boldest projects in the uptown.
[Image: 20190728-174130.jpg]
Somewhat less hulking from that angle than I would have expected.

Does anyone know when occupancy is for this building? Is it next Spring?
A little bit more work on the top level. Glazing getting close to the top as well.

Just got an email that this is officially topped off
HIP sent an e-mail yesterday with a construction update, mostly about the topping off, but also saying that drywall has started going in on some floors.

All exterior windows will be in place by the end of September.
Dismantling the crane with a crane.

(11-09-2019, 12:13 PM)kitborn Wrote: Dismantling the crane with a crane.

I didn't realize it would end up so grey.  Seems a bit dreary in that pic.

(11-09-2019, 12:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 12:13 PM)kitborn Wrote: Dismantling the crane with a crane.

I didn't realize it would end up so grey.  Seems a bit dreary in that pic.

Yeah I’ve been wondering that as well. Is there at least going to be cladding or something over the concrete? Seems very monolithic as is.
I don't think that's the final cladding, no.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »