Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the building had to be preserved as much as possible. Obviously that isn't the case, as there is less than 40% of it left. Was the brewery not designated as historical?

The remaining wall fragments pretty much match the render on p1.
The project page says:

Quote:Fusing historical brick and beam elements from the former Brick Brewery with modern architecture, every level has a space dedicated to living well.

Looking at the current state, I guess it is more "brick" than "beam".
They may have salvaged wood beams to reuse as accents within the rebuilt space, but they would not be structural.
(05-10-2018, 09:22 AM)schooner77 Wrote: Forgive my ignorance, but I thought the building had to be preserved as much as possible.  Obviously that isn't the case, as there is less than 40% of it left. Was the brewery not designated as historical?

I thought it was just the facade, but maybe someone can confirm this.
It is very disappointing to see how little was preserved given how popular those types of spaces are at the moment and shocking that it was even allowed given that it is on the heritage registry.

Was all the extra expense really worth saving that little? Did something go wrong and they couldn't save more of the structure?

The marketing of the building definitely played up that aspect more than it should have given what little remains.

Even the zoning change application is misleading, "A portion of the non-designated heritage building that currently occupies the property will be retained and integrated into the new building." A "portion" is like saying there will be some cookie left to share when cookie monster is done.

The development application report stated, "A secondary building on the site will be demolished, according to a report submitted to the city." which probably referred to the metal/aluminum building backing on to Caroline and would seem to imply that the other building would not be demolished.

The final approval was, "The project incorporates former Brick Brewing facades into the building. Part of the non-designated yellow brick heritage building on site will be integrated into the new tower."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
What was the interior of the remaining portion of the building like? I don't remember if that's where they had the big fermenters or if there were some other large tanks occupying the front closer to King Street. I was only ever on one tour of the Brick brewery 15 years ago and ended up pretty drunk so I don't remember what it looked like inside but maybe there wasn't much in the way of heritage interior?

(05-10-2018, 10:39 AM)kps Wrote: The remaining wall fragments pretty much match the render on p1.

Exactly this. And given that the render shows highrise tower directly above this structure, there's no other way to engineer it - they have to be able to go down to anchor supports, and bring those all the way up. The standing walls are exactly what the render led us to expect.
(05-14-2018, 09:57 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Was all the extra expense really worth saving that little? Did something go wrong and they couldn't save more of the structure?

The remaining fragment matches the render on p1 of this thread.

Quote:The marketing of the building definitely played up that aspect more than it should have given what little remains.

Definitely, though the building dated from between 1899 and 1908, not 1877. (A condo salesman is like a car salesman, except less honest since there's more money involved.)
Pile driver has been busy on site lately:

The base of a tower crane has been erected. I didn't get a good look to see if they were finished excavating.
As of last week, the excavation along the King Street side was at depth and they have (seemingly non-structural) concrete about half-way back towards Caroline. Still some excavation going on towards Caroline.

The concrete is strange. No sign of a prepared base for drainage or any reinforcing steel. I have to assume it is just to make the site easier to work and the real floor will come later

Thanks for the photo updates!
Big concrete pour under way this morning. At least ten cement trucks and a concrete pumper lined up along king. Steady stream of trucks headed to the site.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »