Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIA Rail
Are we sure that Via nationwide doesn't allow alcohol, and it's not just that one route in Manitoba? Places like rural Manitoba have unique issues with alcohol and their own, even more draconian rules.

I've taken beer on Via. I really thought it was allowed. Don't they serve alcohol?

Edit: I should have just looked it up. Here is the policy. Alcohol is sold, of course, but "personal alcoholic drinks" can only be consumed in sleeping cars. I don't think this is enforced very stringently...as per Coke6pk's photo, I don't think riders even need to try to be sneaky about it.

@midtowner. I believe this is the same policy as licensed establishments in most provinces.

It's one part liability (the 'host' is responsible for ensuring patrons do not get overly drunk, they can only do so if they control the supply), one part protecting profits.
You're right- that page notes that the policy is in accordance with provincial law.
I'm on a VIA train just out of Montreal and they had the same request - and we haven't even left the island yet. Even in Quebec, VIA is dry aside from what they're selling.
Frustrating. We’re visiting friends in Toronto tomorrow.

“Let’s take the train instead of driving!”

VIA: $160

“Oh, erm. Okay, how about the GO Bus! They have those cool double-deckers...”

GO Transit: $65

...but it’s less than $10 for us to drive.

This is so frustrating. Transit should be cheap, accessible to all, and frequent. It had to cost less than driving, and be better, or nobody is ever going to make the switch. I can’t justify spending an extra $150, as much as I might want to go for a train ride.
Greyhound is probably cheapest, maintenance and depreciation add to your personally very low gas costs (IIRC your car), potential for parking costs to add to things. I, personally, can always find something more enjoyable and relaxing to do with my time than drive to Toronto. Feel horrible for a coworker of mine who was caught trying to come into work with the two 401-closing accidents this week.
The drive is relatively stress-free on weekends, so I can't fault Canard too much on his choice. This shouldn't stop us from continuing to advocate for better transit options, all days of the week.

(10-21-2017, 01:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: The drive is relatively stress-free on weekends, so I can't fault Canard too much on his choice. This shouldn't stop us from continuing to advocate for better transit options, all days of the week.

"Relatively stress free".....Relative to what?  Every weekend I have tried to drive through Toronto during the cottaging portion of the year at least, has been a nightmare, involving almost an hour of delays, and that didn't even involve going downtown (which may in fact be better on weekends).

The biggest problem with transit affordability is what is perhaps competitive or cheap for one person, becomes far less so the more people you pack into your car.  In fact, a car full of people is probably fairly competitive even environmentally to a bus route's average loading.  It's a tough problem to solve, although I have found family passes to be effective before (as students six of us (of the correct ages would often get on TTC via a day pass for ~10-12 dollars).
(10-21-2017, 10:28 AM)Canard Wrote: VIA: $160
GO Transit: $65

...but it’s less than $10 for us to drive.

... but if you only count fuel costs, it's really not a fair comparison.  CRA allows about 50 cents per km for the use of a personal vehicle, or about $100 for a round trip to Toronto.  Yes, a Smart will use less fuel but there are other costs, too: maintenance, repairs, tires, depreciation etc.  Parking is not inexpensive (unless you have free parking).  And that's assuming that you have a car in the first place.

And of course the more people you have in the car, the more competitive the costs are.  But so many people drive alone ...
Canard owns a Prius, for the record.
It used to be a Smart, no?
We have both.
GO is probably about as cheap as you can run a bus. I think they're pretty efficient at controlling costs. For what it's worth, I couldn't stand the prospect on an additional hour on a bus last night after taking the 25C to Square One and getting stuck in traffic, so I took a taxi to Pearson instead.

VIA Rail has been using dynamic pricing for a few years now, so that the last few tickets on the train will be more expensive. It's not cheap, in any case, especially for a last-minute trip. You can get the cost down to about $26+tax per person one way if you buy tickets on a train that no one else wants to take. The train that leaves Toronto for Kitchener 2 minutes from now is $26+tax.

I typically drive to Burlington and take the GO train, but that only works if you're going downtown.
If you're going to Scarborough, Markham, Richmond Hill etc, the public transit options are either non-existent or at least quite onerous.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »