Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Weather
(12-16-2019, 01:31 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 03:15 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Some of us do appreciate the early daylight! I'm usually up around 6 AM and it sure is nicer having some daylight early. Whereas in the late afternoon I'm at work, and it doesn't make a big difference for me whether the sun sets at 4:45 PM or 5;45 PM.

I'm the exact opposite. I leave for work at 6am and I'm already at work before the sun rises. If it rises an hour later, no big deal. As it stands right now, the sun is typically setting as I drive home, so I have the rather unpleasant situation of living with almost no sun at all for a fair length of the year.

I think this is a good illustration of why neither all-year-EST or all-year-EDT would be able to make everyone happy.

(12-23-2019, 04:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-16-2019, 01:31 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm the exact opposite. I leave for work at 6am and I'm already at work before the sun rises. If it rises an hour later, no big deal. As it stands right now, the sun is typically setting as I drive home, so I have the rather unpleasant situation of living with almost no sun at all for a fair length of the year.

I think this is a good illustration of why neither all-year-EST or all-year-EDT would be able to make everyone happy.

I would be OK with daylight saving time year round. Nice having the sun set later in the day, especially summertime. No decide to see the sun rise before 5.
Apparently, there was no weather in 2020 that was worthy of discussion.

For those who are counting down the days to spring, the University of Waterloo Weather Station Contest is open. Contest closes Sunday, February 28 at 9:00am

Quote:The entry period has now begun for the 2021 edition of
the UW weather station contest!

For the last 4 years the winning date has been later and later each year.

Including last year when the winning date for the UW Weather Station Contest was not only the latest date we have seen in the history of the contest, but also the latest first 20°C day in the over 100 years of weather records in the region 
What does that mean for this year?
Let us know when you think it will first hit 20C as it is now time to enter the UW weather station contest!
(02-23-2021, 02:20 AM)nms Wrote: Apparently, there was no weather in 2020 that was worthy of discussion.

For those who are counting down the days to spring, the University of Waterloo Weather Station Contest is open. Contest closes Sunday, February 28 at 9:00am

Quote:The entry period has now begun for the 2021 edition of
the UW weather station contest!

For the last 4 years the winning date has been later and later each year.

Including last year when the winning date for the UW Weather Station Contest was not only the latest date we have seen in the history of the contest, but also the latest first 20°C day in the over 100 years of weather records in the region 
What does that mean for this year?
Let us know when you think it will first hit 20C as it is now time to enter the UW weather station contest!

I do this contest every year. I think I chose April 8 this year. I said the reason for it because I am feeling optimistic.

Mind you, y'all might recall when we had the really warm March break in 2012. Temperatures hit 21.6º on March 16 and maxed out at 27º March 22. I think we had 7 or 8 record highs in a row. March 19, the temperatures hit 24ºC which is the warmest winter temperature we have ever hit. Doubtful we'll see this ever again....but it sure was nice.
I chose March 28 this year for the exact same reason.

By the way, does the winner get a prize, or merely the distinction of being the closest guess?
In the past they had weather-related prizes, but I don't know if their budget still covers that. You certainly get bragging rights.
(02-25-2021, 08:42 AM)jamincan Wrote: I chose March 28 this year for the exact same reason.

By the way, does the winner get a prize, or merely the distinction of being the closest guess?

I think it's usually a weather related book or something to that effect.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »