Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Weather
Today's Weather

This thread is for discussing local weather conditions when there is a storm.

Despite some challenges, I love a good storm.  I'm not at home today so I'm missing the freezing rain storm.

Why is UW open when schools are closed?

UW students are adults and can make their own decisions regarding their safety?
(03-24-2016, 08:18 AM)curiouschair Wrote: UW students are adults and can make their own decisions regarding their safety?

It's more about the public and catholic boards determining it's unsafe and being closed, as well as the very similar to UW Conestoga College and Wilfrid Laurier University also determining it's unsafe and being closed, but somehow just a five minute walk down the street, UW is fine and everyone can attend. That's what frustrates people.
(03-24-2016, 08:18 AM)curiouschair Wrote: UW students are adults and can make their own decisions regarding their safety?

You obviously don't have many run-ins with students.  Having worked in student housing for several years, I can inform you that students are not adults and cannot make their own decisions about safety.

Tongue not too firmly in cheek.  Smile
(03-24-2016, 08:26 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's more about the public and catholic boards determining it's unsafe and being closed, as well as the very similar to UW Conestoga College and Wilfrid Laurier University also determining it's unsafe and being closed, but somehow just a five minute walk down the street, UW is fine and everyone can attend. That's what frustrates people.

What about faculty and staff who have young children and the schools are closed?  It's not easy getting someone to look after the kids on short notice.  UW's policy doesn't make sense to me.
(03-24-2016, 09:05 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 08:26 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's more about the public and catholic boards determining it's unsafe and being closed, as well as the very similar to UW Conestoga College and Wilfrid Laurier University also determining it's unsafe and being closed, but somehow just a five minute walk down the street, UW is fine and everyone can attend. That's what frustrates people.

What about faculty and staff who have young children and the schools are closed?  It's not easy getting someone to look after the kids on short notice.  UW's policy doesn't make sense to me.

They do the same thing that every private sector employee does?

Does the University ever cancel lectures/labs/tutorials but remain "open"? I wouldn't see the point in going to class when half your class isn't going to be there.
Every time this happens, people complain. UW has a policy, and it follows that policy. It doesn't matter that schools are closed for children, although I am interested to know why Laurier is closed. Buses are running, and most places of employment are open today.

(03-24-2016, 09:12 AM)timc Wrote: Every time this happens, people complain. UW has a policy, and it follows that policy. It doesn't matter that schools are closed for children, although I am interested to know why Laurier is closed. Buses are running, and most places of employment are open today.

Laurier, Conestoga, and UW Cambridge are closed. Pretty consistent, UW main campus aside.
Photo 
So the schools are open in Hamilton but, during an ice storm, these things can happen:  Tweet from Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board.

(03-24-2016, 10:04 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 09:12 AM)timc Wrote: Every time this happens, people complain. UW has a policy, and it follows that policy. It doesn't matter that schools are closed for children, although I am interested to know why Laurier is closed. Buses are running, and most places of employment are open today.

Laurier, Conestoga, and UW Cambridge are closed. Pretty consistent, UW main campus aside.

lol Laurier is a joke of a school.
(03-24-2016, 07:43 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: lol Laurier is a joke of a school.
Now, now… it's the second best university in the region (assuming you don't count the McMaster satellite).
(03-24-2016, 07:43 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(03-24-2016, 10:04 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Laurier, Conestoga, and UW Cambridge are closed. Pretty consistent, UW main campus aside.

lol Laurier is a joke of a school.

Oh you are so smug in your righteousness jordan2423! 

Not sure your personal bias and angst is what this forum considers a form of civil discourse
April as a month might turn out to be snowier than December was…

I know that it’s not exceedingly unusual to get a spring snow or two, but this winter has made me soft and I want to see green, not white.

Tree down on Market lane (already cleared by the time we left):

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Well, the forecast is calling for rain to start later this morning, and keep on going until Sunday. That’s not good, especially as yesterday was the first day in several when we didn’t get rain (though KW has received a lot less this past week than some neighbouring regions).

And, of course, we’re heading into a cold snap which may well get cold enough to threaten some of those buds out there that have already broken.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »