Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ottawa LRT
Wow, is it ever!

It won't even be close.

Ottawa is much further ahead in testing, and signals, than us as Canard highlighted in the Ion thread.

They already have multiple trains running loops in full Automatic Train mode, at full line speeds, and have been for a few weeks now.

You can read weekly updates like this week's on their website.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I wouldn't be so quick to give it to them. Our system has been complete from a construction standpoint for much, much longer! They are rushing now to put all these finishing touches in their (very elaborate) stations. While it's true they've been testing for longer, the pace at which they're doing their testing is agonizingly slow. As an example, you point out that they are have been testing in automatic mode for a few weeks. The update mentions this is just between two stations. They need to program the entire line in Automatic Mode! If they're just now starting this... how much longer will that take? That is a very complex part of the project. I think it's very much still anyone's race.
It says it's between uOttawa and Tunney's Pasture; doesn't that include roughly half of the stations on the line?
Sure - but my point still stands... maybe not, who knows? I was just pointing out that they still have lots to do. I think the race is still on.
(12-02-2018, 08:35 AM)Canard Wrote: I wouldn't be so quick to give it to them.  Our system has been complete from a construction standpoint for much, much longer!  They are rushing now to put all these finishing touches in their (very elaborate) stations.  While it's true they've been testing for longer, the pace at which they're doing their testing is agonizingly slow.  As an example, you point out that they are have been testing in automatic mode for a few weeks.  The update mentions this is just between two stations.  They need to program the entire line in Automatic Mode!  If they're just now starting this... how much longer will that take?  That is a very complex part of the project.  I think it's very much still anyone's race.

Yes, although between "March 31, 2019" and "Spring, 2019", it's hard not to think that it's advantage Ottawa at this point.
Basically, will our trains be ready first, or their stations?

(12-02-2018, 09:16 AM)jamincan Wrote: It says it's between uOttawa and Tunney's Pasture; doesn't that include roughly half of the stations on the line?

It’s exactly half of the line; Tunney’s Pasture is one terminus, and uOttawa is the middle of 13 stations:

https://www.ligneconfederationline.ca
(12-02-2018, 11:52 AM)KevinL Wrote: Basically, will our trains be ready first, or their stations?

...or their trains? They are just bringing some online for their first movements now. They have 34.
I'd much rather have the finishing work (weather stripping, paint, furnishings, etc.) left to do at this point than trying to figure out how get 70 year old tech to talk to new tech reliably (or at all).

Ottawa just published their 3rd quarter report a few weeks ago. There is an embedded PDF on this page. 11 of 13 stations in are being inspected for occupancy permits; the other 2 are expected to have their occupancy permits by year end. They are awaiting the final assembly of train 34. They may still have trains to "burn-in" as well, but already have a much higher percentage of their trains to begin that process than we do. There is another recent update to the City of Ottawa's finance and economic development committee embedded here.

I'm pretty sure they were only working on the west half of the line because they have already completed automated trials on the eastern half of the line (Blair to uOttawa) back in September and October.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Oops!

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=1556137
(12-05-2018, 03:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Oops!

Seems like that Manconi fellow is a real asshole. This wasn't an accident, this was an 'on purpose', and he doesn't seem to give two shits about the operators. Wow.
(12-05-2018, 10:55 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 03:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Oops!

Seems like that Manconi fellow is a real asshole. This wasn't an accident, this was an 'on purpose', and he doesn't seem to give two shits about the operators. Wow.

Yeah exactly, toward the end when he says there's incidents on any construction site, him and people like him, are why incidents happen but they are completely preventable. I've worked lots of jobs that are dangerous that have finished without incident.

(12-05-2018, 11:12 AM)clasher Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 10:55 AM)jeffster Wrote: Seems like that Manconi fellow is a real asshole.  This wasn't an accident, this was an 'on purpose', and he doesn't seem to give two shits about the operators. Wow.

Yeah exactly, toward the end when he says there's incidents on any construction site, him and people like him, are why incidents happen but they are completely preventable. I've worked lots of jobs that are dangerous that have finished without incident.

Can someone enlighten me to the content of the video?
(12-05-2018, 11:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-05-2018, 11:12 AM)clasher Wrote: Yeah exactly, toward the end when he says there's incidents on any construction site, him and people like him, are why incidents happen but they are completely preventable. I've worked lots of jobs that are dangerous that have finished without incident.

Can someone enlighten me to the content of the video?

http://www.iheartradio.ca/580-cfra/news/...-1.8598052
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »