Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ottawa LRT
Ottawa LRT is currently six months behind schedule. And they can only test on part of the system until some months later.

Incidentally, in Ottawa RTG will not be paying any penalties at all for missing the schedule.

Tom, going with a mixed fleet introduces far more headaches than it saves.

This is why Southwest only has one type of aircraft, and why they're so successful.

Ottawa's LRT will not open in November, I can tell you that right now.
(04-26-2018, 02:40 AM)jeffster Wrote: That's assuming he's re-elected.

Huh

If the Region wanted to do a show-and-tell like Ottawa just did, they could have done it 2 months ago. We have run trains the full route, at speed (something Ottawa still hasn't done yet, despite having been testing trains (supposedly) for well over a year).
"Opening in November"

Confused

...I dunno.  I'm no expert, but it looks like they've got a long way to go, still.  It's going to be absolutely stunning, there's no doubt about it - but I just can't see how they'll squeeze ~6 months of testing and hardcore commissioning in while the stations are still this far away from completion.  I hope they'll make it!

...and so it doesn't get jealous, some O-Train photos:

Not the same project, but adjacent.

Gatineau reveals $2.1B LRT plan, eyes 2028 launch

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/gat...-1.4713843

Quote:Gatineau has unveiled its ambitious vision for a 26-kilometre, $2.1-billion light rail line that will link the Aylmer and Plateau sectors to its downtown and cross two bridges to connect with Ottawa's growing light rail system.

The city is releasing preliminary plans today, launching a process officials hope will bring electric, above-ground light rail by 2028.

Gatineau will now embark on nearly two years of study and consultation on the plan, and hopes to have a final design ready by March 2020.
Interesting that they used one of the Alstom APS (catenary-free) trams from France (Bordeaux) in their rendering...

Hopefully that's accurate.  If it's not, it's quite dishonest to the residents about what they'll get visually.
Look at pretty much any rendering of any building proposal along the ION route since first approved... Not out of the realm of possibility, regardless of level of honesty.

Wow, I heard about the idea over a year ago:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tra...-1.3769612

I really didn't think it would get the momentum to actually get a real study kicked off. I thought that the best they could hope for was an extension of the RapiBus.
(06-24-2018, 08:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Interesting that they used one of the Alstom APS (catenary-free) trams from France (Bordeaux) in their rendering...

Hopefully that's accurate.  If it's not, it's quite dishonest to the residents about what they'll get visually.

Generally, people that do renderings don't worry about the brand of LRT (or car) that is shown in the images.
Hi Tom. My comment was with the fact that catenary was not shown, not the make or brand or model of the LRV.

I think it was either Brampton or Hamilton where they had an absolute meltdown when the graphics didn't show OCS, convinced that some groups were trying to push through lies about what the system would actually look like. Future renderings included OCS (and all the Metrolinx' renderings now do, too).

Thank you.
Fair enough. But "people that do renderings" may also be inclined to skip the OCS in the render as it will make the image cleaner ...
(06-27-2018, 01:58 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Fair enough. But "people that do renderings" may also be inclined to skip the OCS in the render as it will make the image cleaner ...

Depending on the nature of the rendering, the actual wires may legitimately be invisible. I heard of people (this is in Ottawa, where a lot of the anti-LRT sentiment is about as educated on the issue as most of ours) complaining about a small presentation image missing the wires, then booing when told they are actually there just not visible at that scale. Then a perceptive audience member sees the same image much bigger, maybe on a presentation board, and sure enough, the wires are there.

Having said that, in the image at hand, I don’t see any evidence of poles or support arms holding up the OCS. That seems sloppy to me.
(06-27-2018, 01:58 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Fair enough. But "people that do renderings" may also be inclined to skip the OCS in the render as it will make the image cleaner ...

...exactly. Which gives people a false impression of what the actual streetscape will look like, when occluded with a web of wires and a forest of poles. It's a lie.

(06-27-2018, 12:29 PM)Canard Wrote:

...exactly.  Which gives people a false impression of what the actual streetscape will look like, when occluded with a web of wires and a forest of poles.  It's a lie.

Yes. But look at the Drewlo renderings that were posted today -- it looks like across the street from the development is a lovely green area, and a grass boulevard separates the sidewalk from the street. Not quite reality, is it?  And these kinds of "artistic liberties" are really taken in most of the renders that I see, it's not specific to OCS.
Great.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »