Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Catalyst137
(12-14-2018, 12:39 PM)JJTL Wrote: If you go check it out, ask for a booth and check out the smart display in the tables. Pretty neat. Food is very good there IMO, maybe on the pricier side of average.

I've heard great things about the food too

The novelty of the tables will wear off, but they have decent food and location to fall back on.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(12-14-2018, 03:58 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The novelty of the tables will wear off, but they have decent food and location to fall back on.

Agreed. We've not even sat at a interactive table yet, but the food and beer is enough to keep us coming back.
Looks like the team behind Catalyst 137 is creating a 60,000 co-working space called Catalyst Commons. They have space for teams of up to 24 people, and today they announced that they are partnering with the Accelerator Centre to bring their mentorship network to the new space (press release). The new co-working space is set to open by the end of this year.

Great vision, but I thought there was already an excess amount of co-working space through, Communitech Hub, Communitech Data Hub, Accelerator Centre, Workhaus, Workplace One, Treehaus, B Box, brch, Freedom Cafe, Regus, 44 Gaukel and even Google is setting aside space in their new office.

Can our community support all this space? I know we are a startup community, but still.
(08-11-2020, 03:49 PM)Brenden Wrote: Looks like the team behind Catalyst 137 is creating a 60,000 co-working space called Catalyst Commons. ...

Great vision, but I thought there was already an excess amount of co-working space through, Communitech Hub, Communitech Data Hub, Accelerator Centre, Workhaus, Workplace One, Treehaus, B Box, brch, Freedom Cafe, Regus, 44 Gaukel and even Google is setting aside space in their new office.

Can our community support all this space? I know we are a startup community, but still.
Does it much matter?  If the spaces prove to be excessive, they can be put to other uses.
How many of those existing coworking spaces are open to their full pre-covid capacity?
(08-11-2020, 03:49 PM)Brenden Wrote: Great vision, but I thought there was already an excess amount of co-working space through, Communitech Hub, Communitech Data Hub, Accelerator Centre, Workhaus, Workplace One, Treehaus, B Box, brch, Freedom Cafe, Regus, 44 Gaukel and even Google is setting aside space in their new office.

I think they're in slightly different market segments. We have a lot of places that are coworking just in a shared workspace or a dedicated desk in a shared room, but there's not nearly as many offerings for private offices. For companies that are big enough they want dedicated space, but not big enough to justify their own full office. Workhaus, Workplace One, and Regus do that, but I don't think anything else from your list does.

Catalyst Commons though is talking about spaces for up to 24 people, so that seems like private office (and is larger than anything Workhaus offers).

It's useful for any company that's looking to get started in KW, but the team isn't yet big enough to justify a whole office. Square KW got started this way. My employer is also at that phase, being a large tech company but with only a few KW people (so far).

Are the co-working spaces still getting a lot of interest and use? Does anyone know?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »