Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtown outdoor spaces
(08-15-2017, 11:07 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Now, let's get some nice businesses to move into the American Hotel Block....

Just opened up the stream of the committee discussion, and saw this attachment:

Thank goodness it's only 6 storeys in the core of Kitchener, and only the original three on King, Kitchener and the Walper simply couldn't handle anything more galling than what you see above.
It's all right with me, not as tall as I might like but still it would be good to see the block redeveloped. Now, whether and when this would actually happen ...
(08-21-2017, 05:42 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Thank goodness it's only 6 storeys in the core of Kitchener, and only the original three on King, Kitchener and the Walper simply couldn't handle anything more galling than what you see above.

But what's going to happen to Caper's? Why do people never think about that? Everyone here has gotten their shots, right?
Looks like they'd just preserve the facade an put a new tower behind it?
I think the front half (or third?) of the building, facing King St E, would remain, and the back half would have a mid-rise tower, with the facade wrapping around it on Queen St N.
Are the higher floors residential. I see balconies.

Yes, the idea or the owner/developer was always to convert the building to residential.
By the way, there is a thread for the American Hotel Block development.  Posts #76 et seq should probably be moved over to that thread.
The planning committee voted 8-3 on Monday in favour of the Queen St revamp.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/751...en-street/
The city is asking local residents to help decide how to update a couple of city parks! https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...eting.aspx

One of the parks, Sandhills, is right near the downtown core. It seems like a difficult park to rehabilitate, given how enclosed the space is, but I'm glad to see the city trying.
(02-24-2018, 09:29 AM)Belmonster Wrote: The city is asking local residents to help decide how to update a couple of city parks! https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...eting.aspx

One of the parks, Sandhills, is right near the downtown core. It seems like a difficult park to rehabilitate, given how enclosed the space is, but I'm glad to see the city trying.

Other than upgrading the playground and adding some picnic tables, I'm not sure what I'd do with Sandhills.  I suspect that many folks Downtown may not even know the park is there.  Too bad the city didn't acquire the lots on Courtland where the new townhouses went up to give the park an entrance on that side and a bit more visibility.
(02-24-2018, 10:40 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 09:29 AM)Belmonster Wrote: The city is asking local residents to help decide how to update a couple of city parks! https://www.kitchener.ca/en/city-service...eting.aspx

Other than upgrading the playground and adding some picnic tables, I'm not sure what I'd do with Sandhills.  I suspect that many folks Downtown may not even know the park is there.  Too bad the city didn't acquire the lots on Courtland where the new townhouses went up to give the park an entrance on that side and a bit more visibility.

I think that would not have made the park that much more usable, just changing it from a "T" shape to a cross.

What they would need to do is purchase a few a adjoining houses to provide a larger central area. But even so, the park has a steep hill that limits what you can do with it.

Kitchener's Cenotaph Green is being renovated; two designs are proposed, and they are soliciting feedback.

[Image: 3m3b.jpg]

[Image: 3m3c.jpg]

[Image: 3m3d.jpg]

[Image: 3m3e.jpg]
Both are than the current state.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »