Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtown outdoor spaces
To be entirely fair regarding garbage cans, the cities seem quite content to use oil drums for garbage cans...with no recycling.

It would be nice if we had recycling.

(10-29-2018, 06:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be entirely fair regarding garbage cans, the cities seem quite content to use oil drums for garbage cans...with no recycling.

It would be nice, yes, but in many areas people don't bother to sort their litter and will toss any item in any bin; this contaminates the recycling and makes the effort pointless.

Then, even if the recycling is clean, do they have the resources to collect that stream separately from trash given the staff and methods involved in collection?

Lots of things to consider...
(10-29-2018, 07:11 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-29-2018, 06:37 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: To be entirely fair regarding garbage cans, the cities seem quite content to use oil drums for garbage cans...with no recycling.

It would be nice, yes, but in many areas people don't bother to sort their litter and will toss any item in any bin; this contaminates the recycling and makes the effort pointless.

Then, even if the recycling is clean, do they have the resources to collect that stream separately from trash given the staff and methods involved in collection?

Lots of things to consider...

Certainly there are obstacles, but other cities manage to achieve this, there's no reason we can't.  FWIW, the metal cage recycling bin in Victoria Park (so far as I know, there is only one at the north parking lot off Jubilee Dr.) generally appears to only have recyclables in it.  What is crystal clear is that if there are only garbage bins, all the recycling goes in the garbage.
Work progressing on Vogelsang Green at Queen and Duke.

Looks like it will be less green but, I hope, better used.  I’m pleasantly surprised that they’ve been able to lower the space to better integrate it with Queen St.
(09-20-2020, 12:14 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Looks like it will be less green but, I hope, better used.  I’m pleasantly surprised that they’ve been able to lower the space to better integrate it with Queen St.

Yes, less green but I have heard there are still a number of green and natural elements to be incorporated at a later date. Looking forward to see the completed space soon!
We need more green, not less Sad I'm especially sad to see all those trees go.

Let’s change the name from Vogelsang Green to Vogelsang concrete.  
Is there a render or good schematic of the finished project?

Vogelsangplatz! ( We could be confident that it would be the only one in Canada ...).
(09-20-2020, 04:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there a render or good schematic of the finished project?

Vogelsangplatz!  ( We could be confident that it would be the only one in Canada ...).

Council Report

Master Plan
It will get a lot of hate because we lost a lot of green, but I think it was an underused space because it felt overgrown. I think it'll be a much more functional space now.
(09-24-2020, 09:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: It will get a lot of hate because we lost a lot of green, but I think it was an underused space because it felt overgrown.  I think it'll be a much more functional space now.

Keeping in mind that trees grow (why do so many people forget this?), and looking at the master plan, which shows 13 trees, I might have said that it risks being overplanted.  Although it could take 10 or 15 years for it to become apparent.
(09-24-2020, 09:43 AM)Spokes Wrote: It will get a lot of hate because we lost a lot of green, but I think it was an underused space because it felt overgrown.  I think it'll be a much more functional space now.

I think the overgrown nature of it was nice, but perhaps it was just too small of a space for that. I have changed my mind slightly now after seeing it nearly completed; I think it will indeed be more functional as a public space. However, I do not consider it "green space", and this city desperately needs better integration of greenery (as do most urban centers).

(09-24-2020, 10:08 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Keeping in mind that trees grow (why do so many people forget this?), and looking at the master plan, which shows 13 trees, I might have said that it risks being overplanted.  Although it could take 10 or 15 years for it to become apparent.

Trees do grow, quite slowly. Look at the size of the new trees, I don't expect I'll be living downtown long enough to ever experience these as mature trees. I might even be dead by the time they reach the level of maturity that I think trees in the oldest part of the city should be. Yes, sometimes trees need to be cut down, and it's good that they are more than replaced. It just saddens me that I won't get to appreciate these new trees in maturity the way I appreciated the previous trees.

Anyways, here are some photos from today. There is a decently sized area of grass in the center, but I had to leave before I could take all the photos I wanted as an enraged man showed up screaming.

[Image: Z6k5tJO.jpg]
[Image: 6XsSxu7.jpg]
[Image: x5ZxYsh.jpg]
[Image: DXRf7nc.jpg]
[Image: sA9s3bu.jpg]

Photo limit reached. A couple cenotaph photos:

[Image: 0MexNPa.jpg]
[Image: uMIdWQz.jpg]
I like both spaces. They’re more sophisticated than the previous iterations, imo. I especially like the way Vogelsang opens up the area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »