Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doors Open 2016 — Saturday September 17
Reminder that Doors Open is today.

http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Events...egion.aspx

One of my favorite events of the year, unfortunately I was out of town.

Did anyone get out? Any sites stand out?
I have a report from the Regional Archives here: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...hp?tid=625
We visited:
  • Google: It was neat to finally get to see inside this building! I understand that the public couldn't be allowed to go everywhere, but I was a little disappointed that we couldn't go inside the big faceted glass addition (closest to King), or even on the side facing South, toward Kitchener.
  • Christie Digital: This was fantastic. I had no idea that Christie did so much stuff. As a theme-park enthusiast, I was simply delighted to find out that it's Christie projectors in most of my favourite rides at Universal and Disney in Florida - including Soarin' at EPCOT.
  • Greentech: Out in Cambridge, this facility is responsible for a massive amount of component reclamation for household electronics. Of the tours, this was by far the most in-depth, and our host was fantastic. I thought of the 3 places we visited, this would be the least interesting, but I actually think it was my favourite.

Very much hoping that ion's Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility will be on the list next year.
I had the chance to visit a few DTK sites, most notably St. Peter's Lutheran Church on Queen. It was absolutely gorgeous on the inside! Clean mid-century lines coupled with soaring stained glass and wood finishings make for something special. It's a somewhat understated on the outside, like many mid-century buildings but it really is a gem in my mind. Will post some shots at some point in the future.
(09-17-2016, 09:41 PM)Canard Wrote: We visited:
  • Google: It was neat to finally get to see inside this building! I understand that the public couldn't be allowed to go everywhere, but I was a little disappointed that we couldn't go inside the big faceted glass addition (closest to King), or even on the side facing South, toward Kitchener.

The new addition isn't done on the inside yet, still somewhat bare actually.
(09-17-2016, 09:48 PM)Lens Wrote:
  • Google: It was neat to finally get to see inside this building!  I understand that the public couldn't be allowed to go everywhere, but I was a little disappointed that we couldn't go inside the big faceted glass addition (closest to King), or even on the side facing South, toward Kitchener.

The new addition isn't done on the inside yet, still somewhat bare actually.

I'm hoping it gets shown next year, along with the conference room at the other end of the bridge.

(09-17-2016, 09:46 PM)Lens Wrote: I had the chance to visit a few DTK sites, most notably St. Peter's Lutheran Church on Queen. It was absolutely gorgeous on the inside! Clean mid-century lines coupled with soaring stained glass and wood finishings make for something special. It's a somewhat understated on the outside, like many mid-century buildings but it really is a gem in my mind. Will post some shots at some point in the future.

St Peter's hosts a number of concerts each year, so if you keep an eye out you can enjoy both the impressive interior and some quality music!
(09-17-2016, 09:48 PM)Lens Wrote:
  • Google: It was neat to finally get to see inside this building!  I understand that the public couldn't be allowed to go everywhere, but I was a little disappointed that we couldn't go inside the big faceted glass addition (closest to King), or even on the side facing South, toward Kitchener.
  • The new addition isn't done on the inside yet, still somewhat bare actually.
  • I've had the impression that the new portion has been built for future expansion needs.  I've been wondering how long it might sit empty.
    We went to a few places during Doors Open. Our first stop was Google but the line-up on Breithaupt Street was too long. So We went to Briggit on Ahrens. With all of the former factories along the rail line slowly becoming start up and technology based business, it makes sense that this building was converted. Very bright and airy space. There is no private offices just a meeting room and large work areas. We also saw 4 businesses in the old Canada Trust Building at 305 King Street West. Nice vantage point for photos but it was raining. Trininty United, St. Peter's and the Region of Waterloo Archives were our final stops. Open doors is great for finding out about local business as well as local architecture.
    I took a lot of doors open photos. Most of the good ones made their way to Instagram (via file transfer from camera to phone on-the-go) https://www.instagram.com/dunkalunk/
    1st time for Doors Open Waterloo, too bad weather wasn't nice (like SUNDAY weather)
    Have young children

stop 1 - WNHydro - loved the bucket truck ride experience!! better than I thought
    stop 2 - YKF operations centre - pretty fun for kids too. only saw a bit of firetruck water cannon (no scheduled run, simply waiting for more crowd...but people come and go = you don't see cannon again unless you're super lucky to have BIG crowd)
    stop 3 - Google = lineup TOO LONG, turned around and left
    stop 4 - Shopify Plus in old Seagram/CIGI building - went in to take photos and left (couldn't go into the big area behind anyway)

Overall, not bad. I'd re-visit WNHydro/YKF again next year and hopefully some new sites
    The lineup at Google was for guided tours - if you went past the line to the left, you could just walk right in for a self-guided tour.

(09-24-2016, 10:23 AM)Canard Wrote: The lineup at Google was for guided tours - if you went past the line to the left, you could just walk right in for a self-guided tour.

When I arrived about 10:30, both tours had lines.
    « Next Oldest | Next Newest »