Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
Well, I'm sad to report that the PC's are great at marketing...

Even as a non-beer drinker... I know this will buy a shit ton of votes....

Coke

Another relatively good poll for the NDP. I'm not sure the "Buck a Beer" slogan is all that effective because its targeted towards a pretty unreliable voter.

Still seems way too close to call. NDP has some structural disadvantages with how their vote is distributed and is also relying on a younger (and less reliable) voter than the PCs. Might be interesting to see if the US election actually causes more engagement and increased voting from young Canadians.

If I had to choose I'd probably rather be in the NDP spot than the PC, but neither should feel very comfortable.
Someone was asking about local polling. This article has polling for numbers for the Guelph riding.

Schreiner (Green) 31.7%
Mlynarz (NDP) 28% 
Ferraro (PC) 25.3%
Castald (Liberal) 11.9%

N = 668, +/-3.77% (May 23).

It also mentions polling for south-western Ontario, but a number of the polling tracking sites have had that level of granularity for the entire election.

Maybe if you subscribe to Mainstreet's daily tracker it has riding by riding polls that they are rolling up?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Presented without comment.

[Image: tSOJcvhq14TIERXkD-QEE942UBkJvd_GykErj61e...0692483064]

(found on reddit)
There are a number of Dicks in K-W ...
If my math is right, this is about $8B/year in incremental spending (or tax cuts) beyond the current budget (which is really a Liberal campaign budget).
https://www.ontariopc.ca/plan_for_the_people

So $12B deficit + $8B more = $20B deficit. Less any "efficiencies" that can be found, but his brother didn't find much in Toronto.

All the parties are promising to spend money like a drunken sailor. Sad
(05-30-2018, 07:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If my math is right, this is about $8B/year in incremental spending (or tax cuts) beyond the current budget (which is really a Liberal campaign budget).

So $12B deficit + $8B more = $20B deficit. Less any "efficiencies" that can be found, but his brother didn't find much in Toronto.

My understanding is that it's somewhere north of $12B.  Or do you mean $8B after the mysterious "efficiencies"?

(05-30-2018, 09:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 07:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If my math is right, this is about $8B/year in incremental spending (or tax cuts) beyond the current budget (which is really a Liberal campaign budget).

My understanding is that it's somewhere north of $12B.  Or do you mean $8B after the mysterious "efficiencies"?

I just added up the numbers from the web site. There may be something else -- or else I may have missed something.
(05-30-2018, 10:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: My understanding is that it's somewhere north of $12B.  Or do you mean $8B after the mysterious "efficiencies"?

I just added up the numbers from the web site. There may be something else -- or else I may have missed something.

It's quite confusing, but just the $5B for subways plus the income tax cut, plus the end of cap and trade would already put you over $8B.  Or perhaps you mean $8B per year over the four year mandate?
(05-30-2018, 11:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 10:57 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I just added up the numbers from the web site. There may be something else -- or else I may have missed something.

It's quite confusing, but just the $5B for subways plus the income tax cut, plus the end of cap and trade would already put you over $8B.  Or perhaps you mean $8B per year over the four year mandate?

Their web site doesn't include the cost of the subways so that is likely the biggest discrepancy.  But, yes, that's $8B per year, an increase in the annual deficit -- it's not a one-time spend.
Don't worry, whoever wins will take a day or two to 'study' the provinces finances and come out and complain that IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN WE THOUGHT!!! and push off 75% of the promised spending to just past the next election.
(05-31-2018, 12:21 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Don't worry, whoever wins will take a day or two to 'study' the provinces finances and come out and complain that IT'S EVEN WORSE THAN WE THOUGHT!!! and push off 75% of the promised spending to just past the next election.

I think that's a given, although the result could be even bigger deficits rather than spending cancellations.   One of the oddest things in the PC platform, imho, is the plan to bring in outside auditors to examine the Provinces books, when we have an Auditor General in place to do exactly that.   Not an "efficiency", istm.  

At least I have a better understanding of where the Liberals are coming from with the claim that the PC's have a $40B hole in their budget.
I think the point of the outside auditors is to play up that Government isn't to be trusted and that you need "outsiders" to clean things up.

Eroding trust in Government and Government agencies is a major tenet of some conservatives these days.

(05-31-2018, 12:52 PM)SammyOES Wrote: I think the point of the outside auditors is to play up that Government isn't to be trusted and that you need "outsiders" to clean things up.

Eroding trust in Government and Government agencies is a major tenet of some conservatives these days.

They irony of course being that one would instead be expected to put trust in outside auditors who will be vetted in advance for their political inclinations and be given a mandate to produce the politically required result.

"Folks" are easily manipulated.
The record has poll by poll maps. Very interesting patterns. You can actually see the voting patterns of individual buildings like senior's homes (e.g. Highland Place Retirement Home @ Highland and Fieldgate, Mill Wood Manor @ Mill near Ottawa).
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/866...-election/
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »