Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Politics Discussion
(10-13-2018, 01:16 PM)plam Wrote: I also think Kelly Steiss is more pro-bicycle than Dave Jaworski, but she's not the incumbent and incumbents have a large advantage.

Normally true, but Waterloo isn't known for voting for the incumbent (unlike Kitchener or Cambridge).

I worked with Kelly for a few years, very pleasant individual. I had a chance to speak to her about 3 weeks ago, I sorta joked that she'd probably win the mayors race, but four years from now it would be more difficult. I guess for Kelly, win or lose, she'll have a decent job either way (either mayor of Waterloo or continue as a community centre supervisor).

(10-13-2018, 05:17 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 01:16 PM)plam Wrote: I also think Kelly Steiss is more pro-bicycle than Dave Jaworski, but she's not the incumbent and incumbents have a large advantage.

Normally true, but Waterloo isn't known for voting for the incumbent (unlike Kitchener or Cambridge).

I worked with Kelly for a few years, very pleasant individual. I had a chance to speak to her about 3 weeks ago, I sorta joked that she'd probably win the mayors race, but four years from now it would be more difficult. I guess for Kelly, win or lose, she'll have a decent job either way (either mayor of Waterloo or continue as a community centre supervisor).

(Darn autocorrect, not sure why my phone wanted that i on Jaworsky).

Perhaps not a large advantage in Waterloo, but maybe a small advantage, unless you were involved in a RIM Park debacle, in which case you had a large disadvantage. Not aware of incumbents losing otherwise in Waterloo?
(10-13-2018, 01:16 PM)plam Wrote: I would perceive Karen Redman as the favourite due to her past experience being elected and holding a near-cabinet post. Also being on Regional Council. Rob Deutschmann will probably do well in the township where he used to be mayor but that is a small township. Maybe his town halls will help. It's always hard to tell with this level of race; we're not big enough to attract polling.

I also think Kelly Steiss is more pro-bicycle than Dave Jaworski, but she's not the incumbent and incumbents have a large advantage.

I think her name recognition helps a lot too
I was ready to support Redman at the start of the election season, but she has really disappointed in terms of messaging and campaigning. She really seems to be mailing the effort in a relying on name recognition on the ballot. I've only recently started to see any lawn signs for her, and even then it has only been a handful. She doesn't seem to want to take a firm position on anything, relying on vague, wishy-washy answers and ideas. I'm not sure if that is by design to allow her freedom to take different positions after the election or to try to appeal to all (which ironically may end up not appealing to anyone) or both. I also worry that in the current political climate that a Liberal in charge would make our region a target to other spiteful levels of government looking to even scores by denying funding, etc. She comes across as more of a consensus builder than the others.

Deutschmann has been very good at getting his message out; although if he reminds us he's a lawyer one more time I might lose my mind. He's got very detailed ideas on his website, has been very busy on social media and in person, and I thought the series of 90 second videos was great. I am still a little hazy on who knew what and when in the North Dumfries treasurer/budget problems from a few years ago though (link 1, link 2). He comes across as well versed in all the pressing issues.

Still undecided for chair at the moment, but I think Deutschmann will win a squeaker.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I'm definitely leaning toward Deutschmann, yes.
I've liked speaking with Deutschmann and appreciated how active he's been, but I found myself strongly put off by his lack of strong support for Phase 2 of Ion. I see highway 8 to the 401 as a major pain point for people within the region going to & from Cambridge, as well as anyone going further down the 401. Getting busses off the 8 and the 401 and getting to and from Cambridge without road delays would benefit the region. Deutschmann being more hesitant to press for phase 2 may resonate with some voters, but it's surprised me how much it lowered his chances of getting my vote.

Like others, I've barely heard anything from Redman and barely seen any signs, however watching the Rogers debate and listening to the discussions on CBC this past week definitely make me think it should be a race between Redman and Deutschmann, and I'm leaning towards Redman now.

In Waterloo, the Waterloo debate convinced me to stick with Jaworski. I was disappointed by how he handled the complaints around the King Street bike lanes, but in general he's been doing a decent job. What stood out to me on the Rogers debate is that he just seemed more positive than the other two candidates and he really showed that he has a good grasp of the job. Steiss did come across knowledgeable too, and seems like she could do a good job, but her opening remarks and some of her comments came across fairly negative but to me there didn't seem to be enough to back up that negativity. (The third candidate just seemed angry and ill-informed, and I have fundamental disagreements with his stated positions and "stop the war on cars" attitude. Plus I strongly suspect that if his personal, locked twitter account could be accessed I would find even more to disagree with.)
Good news is that a GoFundMe campaign reached its goal and will do an IVR poll of 1,000+ regional residents, with subsequent statistical analysis, with the sole stated aim of helping residents understand where the four candidates for Regional Chair sit in terms of popularity. There is only one of them I couldn't imagine working with, and so I hope that the poll will at least show a three- if not two-way race that people can smartly get behind.

In addition to the TriTAG survey of candidates, another useful tool would be the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario survey, which is also a good barometer for how candidates would view development, heritage, and the willingness (or not) of the region to accept new residents and grow: https://www.aconwr.ca/blog.html
This is why we can't have nice things.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4869654
Odd to think that the law extends to encouraging people just to vote, as opposed to voting in a certain way, but kudos to THEMUSEUM for their good civic intentions.
It's unfortunate that this didn't work. BUT...its giving attention to our abysmal voter turnout. Not that I think it will change things much unfortunately.
Why couldn't the city just ignore it. "Spirit of the Law" rather than "The Law". But that's pretty typical of cities across the board. Very risk adverse. Always concerned with litigation whether that be against them or against others.
Worried a losing candidate might sue out of spite?

Why are rides to polling stations by candidates and their teams allowed then? That would seem much more incentivising or pressure than what themuseum is offering and they are offeing their "reward" after the act of voting, not before, like a ride to the polling station.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(10-19-2018, 12:30 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Why are rides to polling stations by candidates and their teams allowed then? That would seem much more incentivising or pressure than what themuseum is offering and they are offeing their "reward" after the act of voting, not before, like a ride to the polling station.

Rides are an affordance...simply paying someone for voting is different.

I can see the difference, even if I'm undecided on whether either it is a good or bad idea.  I do see the risk for bias in both cases.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »