Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cineplex Fairway Rd
(08-06-2016, 01:45 PM)The85 Wrote: Does anyone have any recent information on this development? It seems like construction has stalled and nothing has happened on the site in several months. Any reason why? I know interior work can take time and is not entirely visible and also that they have targeted an opening in late 2016, but it seems like things are taking way longer than usual for a project of this scale and for a company as large and sophisticated as Cineplex. If the project is ahead of schedule, you would think they would want to take advantage of things and at least have a soft opening to capitalize on the summer movie season.

I saw one person painting with a long pole and roller on the second floor (big windows made it easy to see)

News article talking about the features of the new theater but I don't see mention of the opening day.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/681393...-kitchener
It does say 'early fall', however you interpret that.
Saw signs up at this property over the weekend - driving so no photos sorry.
The exterior looks nearly complete except for a couple of missing glass panels.

The odd thing about this project is I don't know where everyone is going to park. There is a little lot to the right of the building, and the lot directly out front seems to be only a couple rows deep. It could be that I am not seeing it clearly.

Since many major malls have a movie theater attached it is easy for shoppers/dinners to walk to a movie. I am wondering how often we will see people walking to and from the theater from the mall. The mall itself is setback far from Fairway Rd and they built the Cinema setback hugely from the road which looks like a lot of wasted space ( the Rd to Farm Boy and Best Buy a side) has created a significant distance between the two sites .
Looking at all the space around it in satellite view:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.420956,-8...a=!3m1!1e3

It seems that there's plenty of space for parking, if they turn all of that dirt into parking. I haven't seen it with my own eyes though.
They will definitely be paving the rest of the front, and I'd imagine once they do the theatre will open soon after.

Aside from the massive parking lot the front of the building is actually quite pleasant with benches, trees, and multiple entrances.

(08-18-2016, 05:49 AM)rangersfan Wrote: News article talking about the features of the new theater but I don't see mention of the opening day.

I'll give you guys the inside scoop: they're aiming for September 23rd opening day.
(08-29-2016, 11:10 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(08-18-2016, 05:49 AM)rangersfan Wrote: News article talking about the features of the new theater but I don't see mention of the opening day.

I'll give you guys the inside scoop: they're aiming for September 23rd opening day.

Finally! Thanks for the info. 

As a side note too, the exterior "Cineplex" sign is now up.
Looks like opening for September 23rd is right on schedule! http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6859...n-sept-23/
I checked out the theater tonight definitely the best in KW IMO. The buildings set up is quite interesting and makes me think a Downtown/Uptown Cineplex would be quite easily built (When/if there is enough demand for another KW theatre again) It has future retail space on the main floor and Cineplex only has it's entrance and the box office/ticket machines on the main floor everything else is on the second floor. (They have escalators, an elevator and stairs) the seats are awesome and I was just in a regular cinema. (There seats are leather laz-boy style chairs no recliners though, and when you lift up the arm it feels like a couch!
(09-24-2016, 06:15 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I checked out the theater tonight definitely the best in KW IMO. The buildings set up is quite interesting and makes me think a Downtown/Uptown Cineplex would be quite easily built (When/if there is enough demand for another KW theatre again) It has future retail space on the main floor and Cineplex only has it's entrance and the box office/ticket machines on the main floor everything else is on the second floor. (They have escalators, an elevator and stairs) the seats are awesome and I was just in a regular cinema. (There seats are leather laz-boy style chairs no recliners though, and when you lift up the arm it feels like a couch!

The seats are all automatic recliners. There is a silver button on the bottom right of the arm rest to automatically adjust the seats!
Just went to one of the VIP cinemas tonight. Prices were pretty reasonable for a theatre, I thought, for both the tickets and the food/drinks. Beer was a mix of brands - I forget what they all had, but they had Mill St. Organic and Goose Honkers Ale which are Molson-Coors and Anheuser-Busch Inbev respectively, which is kind of unusual to see. Wine and mixed drinks on the list as well. Big comfortable seats with reclining and tray tables that swing in front of you (you could reasonable eat a meal during the movie). Seats can be converted into a couch by swinging of the armrest between the two adjacent seats. It would be a hard sell to return to one of the other theatres, frankly.

My only problem with reclining seats in cinemas is that I find it very hard to stay awake!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »