Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WRPS HQ project (200 Frederick St, Kitchener)
I got the impression not until late this month

panamaniac

Off topic, but have we ever seen a render of what the Provincial court house is supposed to look like after the renovations for WRPS?  I’ve always liked the building but wonder if the front facade couldn’t be made a bit “friendlier”.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have seen the 90% set from Dialog. Unfortunately no exterior render. From what I can gather they are punching a bunch of windows into the south, east and west elevations. They plan on keeping some of the existing precast concrete panels, but are adding large sections of Aluminum tile cladding, aluminum composite panels and a small section of phenolic panels.  Not sure on colours chosen yet. I am concerned that they will be grey for the tiles, which will add to the dreariness of the building.  I think overall it will create a more pleasant visual experience from the street.
Interesting. Is there a timeline?
(10-06-2020, 08:21 AM)Spokes Wrote: Interesting. Is there a timeline?
Not sure on the timeline. I know there was quite a bit of asbestos remediation that had to take place during demolition. Would not be surprised if covid has pushed back the start date by a bit.
(10-06-2020, 08:43 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 08:21 AM)Spokes Wrote: Interesting. Is there a timeline?
Not sure on the timeline. I know there was quite a bit of asbestos remediation that had to take place during demolition. Would not be surprised if covid has pushed back the start date by a bit.
 The original reports (2018) described it as a "$35M over ten years" project.  I assume it will be less than ten years (now 8 years) before the WRPS actually move in.
There are now two construction trailers (and a pile of gravel) on the site. Maybe work will get under way soon?
The entire site is now surrounded by construction fencing, and some of the upper-floor windows have been removed. Many construction vehicles are parked at the site.

Clearly there is (finally!) active construction but, at least for now, the activity is all inside so it's impossible to tell what they are planning to do.

The entire entrance area has been torn out. The building permit says:
  • Main floor addition (Sally Port)
  • Exterior facade alterations
  • Interior alterations

The project is listed at $43M so a substantial amount of work will take place.

(04-06-2021, 02:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The entire entrance area has been torn out. The building permit says:
  • Main floor addition (Sally Port)
  • Exterior facade alterations
  • Interior alterations

The project is listed at $43M so a substantial amount of work will take place.

Did I miss any renders on this?
(04-08-2021, 02:10 AM)jeffster Wrote: Did I miss any renders on this?

A render now posted on the work site. Based on the image, it seems that some of the precast concrete will be replaced by aluminium cladding. Additional windows in the entrance area. And one additional partial floor on the existing roof?

I wonder if the roof windows are more for an atrium to get more natural light into the building..
(05-12-2021, 10:59 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I wonder if the roof windows are more for an atrium to get more natural light into the building..

That's quite possible: the top "floor" does look rather low.
I love brutalism and I love this building, but it sure makes for an ominous looking police station.

(05-12-2021, 12:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: I love brutalism and I love this building, but it sure makes for an ominous looking police station.

Yeah, no desire to go into there. Looks like a good number of beatings will be taking place.

This facility though could sure fit in a lot of Hollywood movies. Dystopian type moves.
I've never been a fan of brutalist architecture so I'm happy to see this one be tweaked and modernized.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »