Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(05-07-2017, 12:39 AM)Square Wrote: I'm with Canard on this, I would LOVE if they tried a different technology (elevated track) for Phase 2!

Elevated track is not a different technology. Monorail or rubber-tired concrete guideway or something would be a different technology. But obviously it would be madness to switch technologies from Fairview to somewhere around Preston and then switch back to LRT for the rest of the route down to Galt. The whole point of LRT is that it is the universal technology — equally comfortable in mixed traffic, dedicated lanes, private right-of-way, elevated, or in tunnel. So while I’m guessing they aren’t actually going to elevate the LRT through Preston, it could be done, and the station would not be significantly more obtrusive than an elevated station for another technology (yes, elevated sections outside of the station would be more prominent than elevated tracks for many other technologies).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 05-07-2017, 01:13 PM