Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(07-09-2017, 10:21 AM)DHLawrence Wrote:
(07-09-2017, 01:26 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I don't think anyone here was suggesting that. At least I hope not.
There are at least five posts suggesting that on this page alone.
Last time I checked, the Region had suggested two routes into town; only one of those has faced opposition so far. If the Region's fine with it going along Maple Grove and nobody objects here, that's pretty much it. There's no further need to "come up with the best route", is there? I don't think it would be the best route, but it's already an option, and it gets the thing built.

So it was one route that was considered, but just because it was considered doesn't mean it's an option that should be built.  

We should only build things that make sense to be built.  Building it just because there is no opposition is a bad policy IMO.

While I have obviously not studied it to the degree the Region has, the Maple Grove route does not seem to support the reasons why the LRT is being built in the first place, namely intensification of existing built up areas to limit sprawl, and economic development.  I could be wrong, but "build it where nobody objects" is basically a sprawl policy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-09-2017, 11:56 AM