Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canada 150
A thread to discuss all things related to Canada's 150th birthday.

City of Waterloo Living Legacy 150th Tree Planting Program
http://calendar.waterloo.ca/Module/Calen...08ed47618f

"The purpose of this report is to request Council endorsement and funding of tree giveaways for private property in recognition of Canada’s 150th Anniversary. Tree giveaways will take place at the Waterloo Earth Day in May and Service Centre Open House in June. Furthermore, in alignment with ward events and Councillor engagement, 150 trees per ward will be made available for planting. This initiative promotes the 150th anniversary of Canada, and is also an opportunity to enhance and increase our city’s tree canopy by planting 2,017 trees on private lands."

Proposed Giveaway Event = Qty. of Trees
7 Wards x150 = 1,050
Service Center Open House = 517
Waterloo Earth Day = 150
Other 2017 City Functions/Events = 300
Total = 2,017
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(02-25-2017, 09:53 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: A thread to discuss all things related to Canada's 150th birthday.

We plan on using our complimentary Parks Canada pass as an excuse to try and get to as many of them as we can this summer.
I wrote to my MP about my disappointment that they were not striking a medal for volunteers during Canada 150, despite doing it for almost all other major anniversaries.  (I encourage anyone else to contact them as well!).  Got this response, would be nice if something comes of it....

Thursday, February 23, 2017
For immediate release
Senator Joyal asserts Canada 150 commemorative medal
would contribute to reconciliation

Ottawa, February 23, 2017 – The federal government’s decision not to strike a commemorative medal for Canada’s 150th birthday is a missed opportunity to celebrate the country’s history and to advance reconciliation with its Indigenous peoples.

Last month, Senator Serge Joyal introduced a motion in the Senate to produce a medal commemorating the 150th anniversary of Confederation that would recognize the inestimable contribution made by Indigenous peoples to the emergence of a better Canada.

Canada has a long history of producing commemorative medals to mark special anniversaries or landmark date in the evolution of our country — the examples are numerous:

•         In 1690, a medal was struck by French King Louis XIV to celebrate victory over the British in the Phips Battle, reading “KEBECA LIBERATA” or “Free Quebec”.

•          A 1763 medal by King George III commemorated the coming of Canada under the British Crown.

•         An 1867 medal commemorated Confederation with personifications of the founding provinces.

•         In 1927 Canada commemorated 60 years of growth with the entry of Western provinces and the beginning of the motto “a mari usque ad mare” or “from sea to sea”.

•         In 1967, Canada celebrated its centennial with a maple leaf engraving as Canada had just adopted its flag.

•         In 1992, Canada marked its 125 anniversary with a medal promoting the achievement of the Order of Canada.

“Then we are today at the 150th and what will we do? We heard from the government that it doesn't want to strike a medal. What are the reasons given by the government to break with that long tradition of commemorating the achievements of our nation?” said Senator Joyal.

In addition to proposing a continuation of this tradition, Senator Joyal suggested that the theme of the medal could be inspired from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission whose Recommendation 68 reads:
“We call upon the federal government […] to mark the 150th anniversary of Canadian Confederation in 2017 by establishing a dedicated national funding program for commemoration projects on the theme of reconciliation.”

Senator Joyal said his proposal serves that objective quite well.

“It's a commemoration project to mark the reconciliation with the Aboriginal people on the occasion of our 150th anniversary.”

Marking the country’s 150th with a message of reconciliation would set in stone — or in steel — the very real change which is now taking place, considering the impact Confederation had on Canada’s Indigenous communities and the effect the Indian Act continues to have on them.

“There is going be a lot of hoopla in 2017,” said Senator Joyal.

“But once 2017 is over, what will be left of it? What progress will we have made in the minds of Canadians?”

Senator Joyal is circulating a letter among senators addressed to Canada’s Minister of Heritage, Mélanie Joly, in order to express publicly the Senate’s support for such a medal.

“Whatever the stripe of the government, be it a Liberal or a Tory government, be it an absolute monarchy like under Louis XIV or a tempered monarchy like under King George III, this is part of our history. Why do we turn our backs on our history?”

- Senator Serge Joyal
The UW student-designed Canada 150 logo will now be on our currency

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bank-of-...-1.4060501
The design's a bit of a jumble (four portraits! five landscapes!), but I love the Inuit design in the hologram and the overall layout is decent.
That is stunning. Out of all the countries I've visited, I still think we have the best currency.
Some flags in Waterloo Town Square:

[Image: U7bk7hF.jpg]

[Image: uooSkhW.jpg]

[Image: uooSkhW.jpg]

We just drove to Stratford and back, and all sorts of businesses along the way have put their heavy machinery out front, farm implementation, etc. with flags out.  It's awesome!

I guess I could put this here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We are proud to be Canadian and this is our tribute to Canadian innovators! Happy 150th anniversary Canada! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WeCreate?src=hash">#WeCreate</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Canada150?src=hash">#Canada150</a> <a href="https://t.co/iOn7PJYi2C">pic.twitter.com/iOn7PJYi2C</a></p>&mdash; Bombardier Inc. (@Bombardier) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bombardier/status/881151680850665472">July 1, 2017</a></blockquote>

...I didn't know that jockstraps were Canadian. Big Grin
I think the neighbours actually came up with the jockstrap, but the hard cup is Canadian. I only learned yesterday that the egg carton is ours!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »