Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
These could be the developments hinted at by HIP in the press releases that came out about the Circa development this week.

(12-05-2016, 06:56 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 01:38 PM)nms Wrote: Was that the former site of the Waterloo Club before it moved to Duke Street in Kitchener?

Sorry for the off-topic, but was there any noticeable renovation done to the building at Duke and Victoria before the Waterloo Club moved in?

I don't think it's being used yet but there is now significant exterior work being done.  Possibly EIFS though ...

I don't believe it's in use yet either. I walk by almost every weekday and have peered in the windows several times. The main floor at least is empty.
Anybody thinking about becoming a member?
New startup space, called One King St North, being built out of the bones of an old jewelry store.

Article https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-st...tup-space/

Website https://www.1kingnorth.ca/
New units (1 SFH?, 2 TH?) being built on George St, as seen from Regina:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Not sure when this popped up just east of Weber on Erb:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

/\ Saw this for the first time today as well. Have no idea what it is going to be.
If that is the location I think it is it is an affordable housing complex. I posted some information about it a couple months back but cannot remember the project specifics.
Not the worst spot; easy highway access for those who do have cars, and hopefully routes along Bridgeport/Erb and Weber stay frequent enough to make it still fairly transit-reasonable. Not great for cyclists though.
(12-08-2017, 09:56 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Not the worst spot; easy highway access for those who do have cars, and hopefully routes along Bridgeport/Erb and Weber stay frequent enough to make it still fairly transit-reasonable. Not great for cyclists though.

The future Route 18, which is basically going to be "The Weber Bus" will make transit there pretty good. Route 5, is less ideal, as you've always got a 3 block walk coming or going.
(12-08-2017, 11:30 AM)Markster Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 09:56 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Not the worst spot; easy highway access for those who do have cars, and hopefully routes along Bridgeport/Erb and Weber stay frequent enough to make it still fairly transit-reasonable. Not great for cyclists though.

The future Route 18, which is basically going to be "The Weber Bus" will make transit there pretty good.  Route 5, is less ideal, as you've always got a 3 block walk coming or going.

Three blocks is really not that awful for an able-bodied person. Smile
It's not that awful, but it is less than ideal. And the transit system (I would say the city) should work for children, people pushing strollers, people carrying heavy groceries, people with mobility issues, people of advanced age, and so on.

Unfortunately, with a one-way pair like Erb and Bridgeport, either your bus to your destination or your bus returning will be a longer walk.

I do think it's a great location, though. Lots of good amenities nearby.

Ideally it should work for everyone, but in practice we cannot have a bus stop on every block. I don't know what assumption (for a maximum walking distance) GRT uses for planning bus stops, but it's probably not so far from three blocks. That's maybe 3-4 minutes of walking, which is quite doable for most people, even with groceries or a baby stroller.
I didn't say it was a dealbreaker, but it's still less than ideal.  Split routes put the service further from everyone.

http://humantransit.org/2012/02/one-way-...ansit.html

At least for the split sections of ION, the frequency of service will make up for the problems of split routes.  If it comes every 10 minutes, it's not so bad if you miss the bus because it was 400m further away. Route 5 is not going to be more frequent than every 30 minutes for a long time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »