Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
I think much would depend on whether Erb and Bridgeport were expanded to 4 lanes, shrunk to 2 lanes, or kept as 3 lanes.

As a pedestrian in that area, I think 4 lanes on each would be a step back from what we have now. They would be much harder to cross, and the small separation between sidewalk and road would probably shrink.

At two lanes each, there would be enough space for separated bike lanes. That would encourage cycling, tie in nicely with the Bridgeport/Albert/Erb improvement and increase separation between cars and pedestrians.

3 lanes would be strange, but would allow 2-way flow on each street without losing any lanes, while also not requiring any expansion.

I can't imagine businesses would be happy losing 50% of the lanes coming from the highway, and I'm not sure 3 lanes would be worth the trouble and 4 would hurt walkability. How would you see a 2-way conversion?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours - by jwilliamson - 02-15-2016, 12:08 PM