Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(06-28-2018, 08:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I've heard rumours that 168 King St S (the credit union building on the corner of King/George), 8 George St, and 12 George St have been assembled for development.

Can anyone confirm?

Interesting. The Credit Union had extensive renovations within the last 5 years.

(06-28-2018, 10:28 PM)Markster Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 08:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I've heard rumours that 168 King St S (the credit union building on the corner of King/George), 8 George St, and 12 George St have been assembled for development.

Can anyone confirm?

Interesting. The Credit Union had extensive renovations within the last 5 years.

Manulife DTK had extensive renovations within the past year...
The former used car lot at Weber and Bridgeport appears reasonably close to reopening...as a restaurant. Parking spaces have been painted on to a freshly-sealed asphalt, and there seems to be a patio constructed to enjoy the outdoor ambiance.
(07-09-2018, 09:10 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: there seems to be a patio constructed to enjoy the outdoor ambiance.

Ah, the soothing ambiance of being surrounded by 9 lanes of traffic speeding along at 70kph.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-09-2018, 12:22 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 09:10 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: there seems to be a patio constructed to enjoy the outdoor ambiance.

Ah, the soothing ambiance of being surrounded by 9 lanes of traffic speeding along at 70kph.

It doesn’t seem like a prime location for a patio. At least it’s some distance back from the intersection. Seems like digging up a margin around the patio and planting it with something would be a big improvement.
(07-09-2018, 02:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 12:22 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Ah, the soothing ambiance of being surrounded by 9 lanes of traffic speeding along at 70kph.

It doesn’t seem like a prime location for a patio. At least it’s some distance back from the intersection. Seems like digging up a margin around the patio and planting it with something would be a big improvement.

This is just the latest in a long line of people not understanding what it means when people say they like patios.  There's a patio at the corner of Erb and Ira Needles, next to the dump.  My office has a patio facing on to a parking lot and Lexington.

They're not terrible, but they are still missing the point.
Someone (on reddit?) mentioned this isnt actually a restaurant. I can't remember what company, but these are offices going in.

I drove by yesterday.... I definitely assumed it was a restaurant... I think it mimics a modern Kelsey's.....

Coke
Liquor licence application on the old sugar mountain location in uptown says it is for “Ace Ping Pong Lounge”
(07-12-2018, 11:26 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Liquor licence application on the old sugar mountain location in uptown says it is for “Ace Ping Pong Lounge”

Cool!! This City is long overdue. Should do well here if set-up and run properly.
(07-12-2018, 11:26 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Liquor licence application on the old sugar mountain location in uptown says it is for “Ace Ping Pong Lounge”

https://www.drinklab.org/ping-pong-cocktail/

It's a fairly small space, is it not?
(07-12-2018, 04:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I drove by yesterday.... I definitely assumed it was a restaurant... I think it mimics a modern Kelsey's.....

Coke

I thought it was a Kelsey's too - but I'm now certain its CG Cunningham - there's a large CG Cunningham mural painted on the back of the building.
Also, Kelsey's shows 1978 on its buildings, whereas this new building shows 1976.
I agree, CG borrowed heavily from Kelsey's designs.
(07-12-2018, 04:11 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I drove by yesterday.... I definitely assumed it was a restaurant... I think it mimics a modern Kelsey's.....

Coke

I immediately thought one of the new-look Kelsey's too.  Had to double check what people on here had said.

12 George St has been demolished. I've heard 8 George is not long from the same demise.

I thought that may be the rumour of the Credit Union and 8 George being redeveloped was tied to the demolishment of 10 and 12 George, but it seems as though Copper Bay Homes is probably just building another 2-3 homes like they did next door:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »