Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
345 King St W | 6 fl | Complete
Glass has started going up on the King St side. They've got King St totally closed to cars in front, so I'm guessing we'll see the entire front glass done very quickly. They've also started removing the pedestrian walkway, so I think once King St is open they'll be done all the parts right at the property line, and will have the 1st and 6th floors left (as they're set back).

Very nice!
Beautiful!
[Image: eTzJYZ1.jpg]
Slightly different view of this one. Taken from inside of Manulife (which is why it's a tad blurry).    
This evening: 

[Image: 48603413816_88a90af5c6_c.jpg]MSP 20190822-IMG_6985 by Matt, on Flickr
Glass going up on the backside of this (facing Charles) now

This really does look lime a good addition to downtown. Fits right in.

[Image: mtnqztk.jpg?1]
(10-15-2019, 05:31 PM)GtwoK Wrote: This really does look lime a good addition to downtown. Fits right in.

[Image: mtnqztk.jpg?1]
Looks great! Wish it was a couple stories taller, but I am not complaining with any addition to the downtown cores.
It really is a pretty building. There is some junk going up, but this isn't.
The glass looks fantastic!

As for the size, sure bigger would be better, but with what's around it, and what can be built behind it, I think the scaling is actually ideal
I don't understand why everyone loves the glass so much. To me it looks very outdated and generic. Reminds me of every 1990-2000s office building anywhere in North America. I wish they had used more of a solid material throughout.
(10-16-2019, 10:03 AM)urbd Wrote: I don't understand why everyone loves the glass so much. To me it looks very outdated and generic. Reminds me of every 1990-2000s office building anywhere in North America. I wish they had used more of a solid material throughout.

Maybe it's because we don't really have one in this town?  It is interesting that a glass box with no distinctive features is getting a lot of comments about how good it looks.  Perhaps it's more about how it fits in with everything else rather than the building on its own.

It makes the TD building look tiny.

There actually are some distinctive features: it's not quite a rectangle, for example, although that's not so obvious yet at this stage of construction.
I find it clean looking, but pretty basic. It does complement the Waterloo Trust tower, however, given the 50+ years between them. (#189)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »