Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Good on you. The 2.5 + 2 bath units are very spacious - over 1000 square feet right? Very hard to find that kind of size in DTK. Assuming you opted for a parking space, locker?

Curious, what was your reaction to them adding more floors? You would have been one under PH originally right? I know if I'm paying the highest floor premium outside of PH specifically to be at close to the top and suddenly am told nope, a bunch of more floors above you now, I'd probably be a bit peeved. Any consolation they offer?

Even month-to-month is dicey with Momentum. When my move occurred, they gave a very firm occupancy date, and I gave notice at my month-to-month with a one-month overlap. I still had Momentum back down from their committment, put me up in a motel for 4-6 weeks (would need to check) without any real kitchen facilities, saying they would give a per-diem for food....and then backing off of that as well.
(11-27-2018, 04:45 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Good on you. The 2.5 + 2 bath units are very spacious - over 1000 square feet right? Very hard to find that kind of size in DTK. Assuming you opted for a parking space, locker?

Curious, what was your reaction to them adding more floors? You would have been one under PH originally right? I know if I'm paying the highest floor premium outside of PH specifically to be at close to the top and suddenly am told nope, a bunch of more floors above you now, I'd probably be a bit peeved. Any consolation they offer?

Just over 1100 interior, plus 325 of balcony. Yes on parking space and locker. 

They didn't release the McGillivray units until after they'd added height, building went from 26 to 31, so I didn't have that happen to me. Floors 29-31 are all the PH layouts and perks. There was only a $1k difference between 31st and 30th floor, but someone got to the 31st floor unit before me. I'd looked at the tower suites, but didn't like any of them enough to buy, and only took a second look when the McGillivray units were released.

(11-27-2018, 05:09 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Even month-to-month is dicey with Momentum. When my move occurred, they gave a very firm occupancy date, and I gave notice at my month-to-month with a one-month overlap. I still had Momentum back down from their committment, put me up in a motel for 4-6 weeks (would need to check) without any real kitchen facilities, saying they would give a per-diem for food....and then backing off of that as well.

That's good to know. I might plan for two months of overlap, and not give my notice until I get the keys to the new unit. An extra month of rent isn't great, but I'd easily pay it to avoid 4-6 weeks in a motel, and having to move stuff into storage.
Oh wow. Yes you hear about these scenarios with builders all the time. There is apparently lodging there by St. Jacob's Farmer's Market that has full scale units with kitchen and hot meal dining hall for people displaced due to insurance paid renos/repairs (I know at least 1 person that experienced this). Overall, extremely inconvenient.
Ah, the McGillivray collection. Nice choice.

The sales for Charlie West were interesting - they trickled along then picked up more steam at the next Momentum offering (Garment St.). It's going to be a nice addition to DTK - now for doing something about that terminal across the street!

As discussed in other threads, right next to it, the Manulife building, is expected to be taken over by tech/start ups.
(11-27-2018, 04:45 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Good on you. The 2.5 + 2 bath units are very spacious - over 1000 square feet right? Very hard to find that kind of size in DTK. 

Definitely hard to find in new construction, yes.

But existing buildings do have larger units, Arrow Lofts, for example, has 2BR+D units that are over 1500 sqft.
That's very true. I should rephrase - in new(er) buildings where the focus is efficiency/max units in the given space. There are others. I've seen some of those on sale ie. 1500sqft with $.50+ monthly maintenance! That's almost a second mortgage.

(11-27-2018, 05:50 PM)Momo26 Wrote: That's very true. I should rephrase - in new(er) buildings where the focus is efficiency/max units in the given space. There are others. I've seen some of those on sale ie. 1500sqft with $.50+ monthly maintenance! That's almost a second mortgage.

Yes, condo fees don't drop for bigger units, so that's a factor, too. A well-maintained recent building (without a concierge or a swimming pool) should have condo fees under $0.45. Somewhat older buildings might be in the $0.50-0.60 range, but then you will likely have lower purchase costs to make up for the higher condo fees.

And the $0.40/sqft condo fees you might see advertised for new builds are almost certainly going to turn out to be optimistic, and to jump up once the condo is registered.
(11-27-2018, 04:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 04:06 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Nice, you got a very high unit. I've been following this one closely and pass by pretty well daily - mind if I ask which unit and facing you went for?

I've got the 2 bed + den unit (there's only one per floor, but two layouts depending on which floor), facing towards Charles St.

Oh awesome!  You're going to have some killer views
Even deeper now! Hard to convey the scale with this picture but it's remarkably deep

[Image: w5n8OF6.jpg]
And another, from just now!

[Image: ZlUnXth.jpg]
Drove by today. Yes. It is deep!!!
Look at what's waiting in the laneway:

Exciting!!
Is that part of the elevator shaft?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »