Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
There was some sort of big event today. Rode by on King and there was a huge line down the sidewalk.

Some of the issues at Kaufman, whose resolutions were blocked and/or delayed, generally acknowledged to be by out-of-town owners who make up a majority of ownership unlike seemingly few other condos in the area, based on what I hear about board meetings from in-town-owned and owner-occupied attendees I know:
Lawncare has not occurred at all this year since the snow melt. Grass and weeds grow as high as 2-3 feet.
Non-residents sleeping in the entryway.
Main entry door not lockable, leading to
Non-residents sleeping in stairwells and storage area in basement.
What you describe indicates shortcomings with the property manager/board of directors, which might or might not relate to the high proportion of non-resident owners. Contrast with Arrow Lofts, which has a high proportion of resident owners, where residents have formed a gardening committee that I understand has basically replaced the contract landscaper.
(06-17-2017, 02:21 PM)amylu416 Wrote: Did anyone happen to have a price list from the VIP event on Thursday?

I have it, I'll post it here later
(06-17-2017, 03:25 PM)jamincan Wrote: There was some sort of big event today. Rode by on King and there was a huge line down the sidewalk.

Yes, the second VIP sales event... they must be at over 75% sold by now.
Crazy how well their properties sell.

Did they indicate when they'd hope to break ground?
(06-19-2017, 09:40 AM)urbd Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 02:21 PM)amylu416 Wrote: Did anyone happen to have a price list from the VIP event on Thursday?

I have it, I'll post it here later

Thank you so much!!

(06-19-2017, 10:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: Crazy how well their properties sell.

Did they indicate when they'd hope to break ground?

Saturdays price list only had about 45 units left on it.

All sales will be subject to a 10 day cooling period, ill go back before the end of the month to see how many firmed up.
When you say 75% sold, do we know that they released all units for sale? Or is that just 75% of like, 50% of the building?
(06-19-2017, 11:48 AM)Markster Wrote: When you say 75% sold, do we know that they released all units for sale?  Or is that just 75% of like, 50% of the building?

I was wondering the same thing.  The release of all the units in a building that size in a market the size of Kitchener would be extraordinary, istm.
I ended going to the VIP event this past week and I'll tell you that getting there latter in the day gave you very slim pickings of what was available. I herd that there was a previous release on a Friends and Family event prior to the VIP event this past week. That event was open to previous momentum purchasers. I could be wrong but the number I herd was 110 units sold in that event before the VIP. There will be another release of the remaining units in September but the prices will be substantially more.
What's the total number of units in this?
The thread header says +/- 250 apartments.

(06-19-2017, 09:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What you describe indicates shortcomings with the property manager/board of directors, which might or might not relate to the high proportion of non-resident owners.  Contrast with Arrow Lofts, which has a high proportion of resident owners, where residents have formed a gardening committee that I understand has basically replaced the contract landscaper.

Yes ... even with many non-resident owners a good board can be elected (proxy votes!) and can manage the issues the previous poster was describing.  If neither the board nor the property manager is very effective, though, no action might being taken.  (I have no specific knowledge about Kaufman though.)
The definition of a "good board" varies a lot when you are living there vs renting it out. When you live there, you care about whether the lot has needles hidden in feet-high weeds, whether doors don't close or lock and homeless people sleep in the building. When you rent our your place, you care about how cheap your fixed costs (condo fees) are, and that you are able to attract and maintain the rent-paying tenant you desire. These two things don't always align, as I've very easily experienced.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »