Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
I was wondering today when they would start. How they would juggle this and One Hundred.

(10-02-2018, 05:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: I was wondering today when they would start. How they would juggle this and One Hundred.

Tower crane will be erected in two weeks, the winner for the bid for the second tower at 100 Vic is still floating
(07-21-2018, 07:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 02:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote: They said (a month ago or so) that they were planning to add more floors based on the demand.

Maybe they should make it an even Forty then!!!

Don't forget the 6 floors underground for the parking!
Rumor has it the tower crane is only about two weeks away.
(10-07-2018, 10:11 AM)NYes Spokes Wrote: Rumor has it the tower crane is only about two weeks away.

They have a lot of digging to do then. I was looking at the site yesterday and they have only dug a small hole. Looks like they are anticipating a shallow water table, I saw a lot of metal piping for a pump system to drain water.
How far down are they going?
(10-07-2018, 04:14 AM)Dickbean Wrote:
(07-21-2018, 07:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Maybe they should make it an even Forty then!!!

Don't forget the 6 floors underground for the parking!

It's not 6 underground parking levels, I think it's just 2, with 4 levels of parking within the podium (with some residential units wrapped around it).

They've dug a lot this morning. The hole is several metres down now.

Also, I can't find the post where it was mentioned but there was a question raised about why the left turn lane on Charles (to turn onto Gaukel towards Joseph) was closed. Today there are 4 very large vehicles relating to dirt removal parked there. I suspect there is nowhere else nearby they could put the queue.
(10-07-2018, 11:52 AM)Spokes Wrote: How far down are they going?

I know someone associated with this project and I believe it will be going down 50 ft or so.
(10-09-2018, 01:17 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: They've dug a lot this morning. The hole is several metres down now.

Also, I can't find the post where it was mentioned but there was a question raised about why the left turn lane on Charles (to turn onto Gaukel towards Joseph) was closed. Today there are 4 very large vehicles relating to dirt removal parked there. I suspect there is nowhere else nearby they could put the queue.

Pics please...  The foot print isnt all that large so they will likely make quick progress failing any unforeseen problems
The left turn lane on Charles Street in front of the terminal was being used as a staging area for some empty dump trucks this morning, I guess that might be why they are cordoned off.
(10-09-2018, 03:27 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 01:17 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: They've dug a lot this morning. The hole is several metres down now.

Pics please...  The foot print isnt all that large so they will likely make quick progress failing any unforeseen problems

Getting a picture of the hole is very difficult right now. From the best angle I can get (the bridge overtop of Charles in the Manulife building) it looks like most of the property is a bit below grade, but the actual hole is all on the east-ish (Hall's Lane) side of the lot right now. From Charles and Gaukel all the equipment is blocking the hole. Next time I'm around King and Gaukel I'll try to get a shot but the pic I took yesterday afternoon is just a plot of land with a lot of trucks in it. Not entirely uninteresting, but not especially illuminating, either.

If there's someone from Thalmic who can get to a window on the top floor, that would probably be the best shot.
(10-10-2018, 10:20 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(10-09-2018, 03:27 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Pics please...  The foot print isnt all that large so they will likely make quick progress failing any unforeseen problems

Getting a picture of the hole is very difficult right now. From the best angle I can get (the bridge overtop of Charles in the Manulife building) it looks like most of the property is a bit below grade, but the actual hole is all on the east-ish (Hall's Lane) side of the lot right now. From Charles and Gaukel all the equipment is blocking the hole. Next time I'm around King and Gaukel I'll try to get a shot but the pic I took yesterday afternoon is just a plot of land with a lot of trucks in it. Not entirely uninteresting, but not especially illuminating, either.

If there's someone from Thalmic who can get to a window on the top floor, that would probably be the best shot.

I have a (slightly obstructed) view of the place from my condo, but for the life of me, I cannot see any hole.  It could be closer to the Laneway, but it looks nearly at grade this morning.

(10-10-2018, 11:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a (slightly obstructed) view of the place from my condo, but for the life of me, I cannot see any hole.  It could be closer to the Laneway, but it looks nearly at grade this morning.

It may be that they're clearing out some of the different layers of fill they put in to be able to support all the heavy equipment? I really have no idea what the steps are. Yesterday after lunch there was a large hole on that side (like, the bulldozer tires were clearly below grade) and it looks like they've been loading up the trucks with dirt and the trucks leave. The pile driver is still active as well, there's a lot going on there that I am completely ignorant of.
(10-10-2018, 11:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a (slightly obstructed) view of the place from my condo, but for the life of me, I cannot see any hole.  It could be closer to the Laneway, but it looks nearly at grade this morning.

The hole is at the corner of Halls Lane and Gaukel.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »