Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
(10-10-2018, 11:51 AM)EdM Wrote: The hole is at the corner of Halls Lane and Gaukel.

That's a great shot! Are you part of the crew?

(10-10-2018, 11:51 AM)EdM Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a (slightly obstructed) view of the place from my condo, but for the life of me, I cannot see any hole.  It could be closer to the Laneway, but it looks nearly at grade this morning.

The hole is at the corner of Halls Lane and Gaukel.

Ahh, fair enough...that is the one part of the site I cannot see from my vantage point.  I can see the pile of dirt on the right, and assumed that it wasn't hiding a hole Tongue.

Does anyone know approximately how long digging (and dewatering) would take in this type of situation...that's better progress than I thought, but it still suggests it will be many weeks.  I assume that they intend to have concrete poured before winter starts (not that winter looks too imminent right now).
(10-10-2018, 11:51 AM)EdM Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have a (slightly obstructed) view of the place from my condo, but for the life of me, I cannot see any hole.  It could be closer to the Laneway, but it looks nearly at grade this morning.

The hole is at the corner of Halls Lane and Gaukel.

Thanks for the picture.  Looks like they have a whole lot of digging to do still.  They have taken out a lot of fill for one day of digging though !!  Love seeing this part of the construction..
(10-10-2018, 11:52 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: That's a great shot! Are you part of the crew?

Nope, just my walk from work often takes me down Hall's lane and there's a good vantage point from the corner of the construction fence by Manulife's parking garage exit.

They're still drilling a few more piles along Gaukel toward Charles.   I suspect once that's done the pace of the excavation will really pick up.
Hard to see how they'll have enough digging/setup done in two weeks for a crane to go up.
Wasn't there some amount of soil remediation that had to be done here first? What happened with that?

(10-10-2018, 11:55 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:51 AM)EdM Wrote: The hole is at the corner of Halls Lane and Gaukel.

Thanks for the picture.  Looks like they have a whole lot of digging to do still.  They have taken out a lot of fill for one day of digging though !!  Love seeing this part of the construction..

The hole's actually been there at least a week now, seems like not a lot of progress has been made
(10-10-2018, 12:14 PM)Spokes Wrote: Hard to see how they'll have enough digging/setup done in two weeks for a crane to go up.

For sure. For a typical cast in place tower crane base the the concrete would need to be in the ground now for it to have a chance. The concrete usually needs a couple weeks of cure time to hit full strength.
At Circa in uptown it probably took 3 months to get from where Charlie west seems to be to having a crane up. It could be done faster, but that is probably a 6 weeks, not 2.

(10-10-2018, 12:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Wasn't there some amount of soil remediation that had to be done here first? What happened with that?

I think that happened before the piles were driven. When the existing building was taken down the lot was completely cleared and a bunch of fill removed. Then the lot was refilled, levelled and sat untouched for a week or thereabouts before the pile driving phase began. So I think all the clean up work on the site was done as part of that phase.
(10-10-2018, 12:34 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 12:20 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Wasn't there some amount of soil remediation that had to be done here first? What happened with that?

I think that happened before the piles were driven. When the existing building was taken down the lot was completely cleared and a bunch of fill removed. Then the lot was refilled, levelled and sat untouched for a week or thereabouts before the pile driving phase began. So I think all the clean up work on the site was done as part of that phase.

Ah, I was under the impression that remediation involved removing more than just a top coat, and would take at least a month. Oops!
(10-10-2018, 01:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 12:34 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I think that happened before the piles were driven. When the existing building was taken down the lot was completely cleared and a bunch of fill removed. Then the lot was refilled, levelled and sat untouched for a week or thereabouts before the pile driving phase began. So I think all the clean up work on the site was done as part of that phase.

Ah, I was under the impression that remediation involved removing more than just a top coat, and would take at least a month. Oops!

To clarify, I'm definitely speculating and could be wildly incorrect.
(10-10-2018, 01:20 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Ah, I was under the impression that remediation involved removing more than just a top coat, and would take at least a month. Oops!

or moderately mistaken !!
(10-10-2018, 01:20 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:19 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Ah, I was under the impression that remediation involved removing more than just a top coat, and would take at least a month. Oops!

To clarify, I'm all about wild speculation.
(10-10-2018, 12:34 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I think that happened before the piles were driven. When the existing building was taken down the lot was completely cleared and a bunch of fill removed. Then the lot was refilled, levelled and sat untouched for a week or thereabouts before the pile driving phase began. So I think all the clean up work on the site was done as part of that phase.

I thought the remediation was being done off-site -- soil excavated as usual, and then taken somewhere for cleaning. If that's the case it wouldn't add any extra time.

(10-10-2018, 02:51 PM)EdM Wrote:

I thought the remediation was being done off-site -- soil excavated as usual, and then taken somewhere for cleaning. If that's the case it wouldn't add any extra time.

That's consistent with the speculation in-thread when the buildings came down.

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...10&page=17
In the Kitchener Citizen East Edition on page 11 in the City hall article, it claims that this tower will be 35 stories! If true, wonder when that changed?

https://issuu.com/kitchenercitizen/docs/...noct18prnt
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »