Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
The below grade work is usually so slow because the concrete work is so complex and non-typical.  Speed comes from repetition, when you can pull a form off of one pour and stand it up at the next one and pour again.  The underground is usually filled with slopes, beams, stepped and thickened slab areas, etc. so you're literally custom building every form, then starting from scratch again on the next pour.

I was by the site today. You can see forms starting to rise above ground level. They are working fast.
I assume we'll see the ground-level slab being poured before long.

This is a bit of silliness but I like that Charlie has "pulled ahead" of Arrow 2 (in a completely unfair comparison with arbitrary metrics), and am interested in seeing which of the two gets an actual ground floor in place first, and even moreso whether or not DTK can get there first. The pretend race entertains me a little too much.
I think Charlie West may be Kitchener's tallest for a remarkably short period of time ...
(04-17-2019, 05:43 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think Charlie West may be Kitchener's tallest for a remarkably short period of time ...

And same might apply to DTK -- and that weird named one on Courtland.
Is the one you're talking about Vierra village? By block line?

As the resident development sceptic, I doubt that Vierra Village will ever be built at anything like the scale of the original proposal.
(04-18-2019, 09:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: As the resident development sceptic, I doubt that Vierra Village will ever be built at anything like the scale of the original proposal.

what makes you think that? there are high rises planned for the Fairview Mall redevelopment...
(04-18-2019, 09:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: As the resident development sceptic, I doubt that Vierra Village will ever be built at anything like the scale of the original proposal.

If demand isn’t there, wouldn’t they just build one building at a time? Unless you’re thinking neighbourhood concerns will cause a scaling back of what is permitted? Right at an LRT stop I can’t see demand permanently not being there.
With Drewlo, BT and Arrow 2 all due to be built in the next few years, as well as multiple Vive rental buildings, they may choose to wait a bit longer before bringing out the Virerra Village.
(04-18-2019, 12:19 PM)urbd Wrote:

what makes you think that? there are high rises planned for the Fairview Mall redevelopment...

The sooner the better, I'd say.  Vierra, however, always struck me as overly ambitious (in scale, not in aesthetics).
(04-18-2019, 02:12 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:

If demand isn’t there, wouldn’t they just build one building at a time? Unless you’re thinking neighbourhood concerns will cause a scaling back of what is permitted? Right at an LRT stop I can’t see demand permanently not being there.

If anything close to that scale were actually built, I'd take as a given that it would need to be staged.

Hey, what’s happening with this building? What stage is the project in?
(05-07-2019, 09:30 PM)JK2021 Wrote: Hey, what’s happening with this building? What stage is the project in?

They're starting to pour parts of the ground-level slab.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »