Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
87 Regina St S | 81m | 25 fl | Proposed
That'd be cool.

I always wondered about the ground floor too, but it seems low. Really low.

(01-24-2019, 10:52 PM)Spokes Wrote: That'd be cool.

I always wondered about the ground floor too, but it seems low. Really low.

True, but it could be two or three units of food truck style vendors, small compact units that just have windows to serve customers. Funnel cake, coffee, etc. Maybe not even open every day, just weekends and special events (but every day ideally).
(01-24-2019, 10:24 AM)DiDiUpTown Wrote: This is great.  Intensification is needed so badly to bring the people back to uptown.  I'd love to see the parking garage moved; still needed but should never had a main street presence, premium real estate.

That would be a great idea.
The parking garage creates a dead-zone right across the street from the most valuable commercial land in Uptown Waterloo.
(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 10:24 AM)DiDiUpTown Wrote: This is great.  Intensification is needed so badly to bring the people back to uptown.  I'd love to see the parking garage moved; still needed but should never had a main street presence, premium real estate.

The parking garage creates a dead-zone right across the street from the most valuable commercial land in Uptown Waterloo.

So they are converting the current office space (Investors group I think?) into parking? I looked at the drawings posted and it seems to me the parking podium is going on the corner of Regina and Wills Way overtop the existing parking lot.
(01-25-2019, 12:42 PM)clasher Wrote: So they are converting the current office space (Investors group I think?) into parking? I looked at the drawings posted and it seems to me the parking podium is going on the corner of Regina and Wills Way overtop the existing parking lot.

No, this thread got off topic, they're talking about the existing Uptown parkade. This project puts the parking on Regina St.
(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote:

I always think it looks like there's even enough sidewalk there to build small retail stores in front of the parking garage, where that little water fountain thing is.   That would liven up the deadness.
(02-08-2019, 09:50 PM)mastermind Wrote:
(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: That would be a great idea.

I always think it looks like there's even enough sidewalk there to build small retail stores in front of the parking garage, where that little water fountain thing is.   That would liven up the deadness.

The stores could extend into the first floor of the parking garage. It’s level with the sidewalk so by taking out a tiny number of parking spaces you could get a significantly larger space for retail use. I’m pretty sure that space would rent for more as retail than it does as parking.

Two additional images of this project. The first one was posted on page 3 already, but it was cropped and low quality. There is also a view that shows things from the street. I recall reading that the materials of the glass have changed, so the design may have been altered, but since Torgan Group hasn't released any news on this in months I'll post these anyway.

[Image: hDeRDYz.jpg]
[Image: OPzhzl1.jpg]

Feel free to use the links to the files to update the first post on this thread if that's possible. Unfortunately the OP uploads a lot of images to TinyPic which seem to delete images after a while. Imgur files don't expire by default.
imgur files are dependent on the account used as well, we have a bunch of broken ones there too. The ideal way (in my opinion) is to upload the images as attachments.
(10-22-2019, 05:51 PM)ac3r Wrote: Two additional images of this project. The first one was posted on page 3 already, but it was cropped and low quality. There is also a view that shows things from the street. I recall reading that the materials of the glass have changed, so the design may have been altered, but since Torgan Group hasn't released any news on this in months I'll post these anyway.

Feel free to use the links to the files to update the first post on this thread if that's possible. Unfortunately the OP uploads a lot of images to TinyPic which seem to delete images after a while. Imgur files don't expire by default.

I think you're confusing this with the fact that they added glass (big windows) to the north facade in the second version, because before it was a blank wall with tiny window slits. See below original design:

[Image: B88246872Z.1_20180622213133_000_G0Q7QQQA...rtrait.jpg]
I definitely prefer the new render with the windows on the north elevation. Hopefully this is consistent with what will be applied to the south elevation. I actually like this proposal. It has a subtle beauty to it. No need for unnecessary colours added to it. The angled walls create a unique shape even though it is a box. (not that there is anything wrong with being a box). It will have a significant presence in the Waterloo skyline if it get built. My only concern is that the whole thing will be grey spandrel.  Confused
That second render at streetview is great, thanks for posting that. Easy to get excited about this one
(10-22-2019, 10:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: imgur files are dependent on the account used as well, we have a bunch of broken ones there too. The ideal way (in my opinion) is to upload the images as attachments.

Is that so? I don't upload using an account, so I am not too sure. I know they state that they never delete images unless requested, but maybe it's different for unregistered uploads.

(10-22-2019, 10:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: imgur files are dependent on the account used as well, we have a bunch of broken ones there too. The ideal way (in my opinion) is to upload the images as attachments.

THIS!

I normally browse this forum at work, where third party hosting sites are blocked... I always get to see attachments, the others I have to log on to my phone to see the pictures...

Coke
Same for my workplace.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »