Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Inclusive on Courtland | 38, 34, 30 & 29 fl | Proposed
Could be middle of the inside, and then the near and far outside corners have their own combover, which would signal a bit deeper building than this view would suggest.

Thank you Markster for guiding me to this thread!
(05-29-2017, 05:48 PM)clasher Wrote: Not too shabby at all...

Although it looks like a sh*tload of grey stucco above the podia.   I guess one can't be too demanding when it's rental.
(05-29-2017, 03:56 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If you look at the far left and right towers, in the "streetside" view, there is a horizontal "comb over" on the inside and outside of the buildings

I'm so glad that you called it a comb-over Smile
Is this going to be near block line and courtland then? I'm not familiar with where the block line stop is. Love the scale of this project!
(05-29-2017, 07:16 PM)urbanprotocol Wrote: Is this going to be near block line and courtland then? I'm not familiar with where the block line stop is. Love the scale of this project!

Quite literally at the station (you can see it in some of the renders). It will extend along Courtalnd, north of Block Line.
I cannot picture at all how this will work!  It really doesn't seem like there is enough room between the LRT station (Block Line) and the CN yard.  They already spent ~6 months terraforming that whole area, just to support the weight of the tracks and the station.  I can't even fathom how much concrete they'll have to pour here to make this possible!  And then there will be like a 10-story drop-off on the backside, whee!

As a reminder, here's where this is supposed to all fit:

The built form, use are great, and this is an exciting development. 

I'm hoping more "rendered" renderings will be released shortly. Based on these images, I'm worried the main material will be either taupe painted concrete, or worse, EIFS. I hope the city pushes the developer to use high quality and durable materials.
The parcel is between 65 and 80 m deep from Courtland, and approx 355 m long...seems big upon review.  The topography of it though!
(05-29-2017, 11:03 AM)Lens Wrote:
Virerra Village
-

Developer: Viridis Development Group
Project: 4 residential towers ranging from 29 to 35 storeys, with commercial and retail uses, adjacent to the Block Line Ion stop.

Nice...looks a lot like a Drewlo in some regards. But dang, that's huge...
Not really that far off what the Region envisioned a few years back:
[Image: kitchener2-2.jpg]
Source: https://magdalenamilosz.com/2009/04/30/r...d-transit/

Interesting that this initial view seems to show the garage to be open to the elements at the back (the west); I would suspect with the prevailing west wind and that huge open space behind that any kind of snow would quickly fill it with snow.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(05-29-2017, 08:06 PM)Canard Wrote: I cannot picture at all how this will work!  It really doesn't seem like there is enough room between the LRT station (Block Line) and the CN yard.  They already spent ~6 months terraforming that whole area, just to support the weight of the tracks and the station.  I can't even fathom how much concrete they'll have to pour here to make this possible!  And then there will be like a 10-story drop-off on the backside, whee!

Basically it will be dug into the hillside.  The front (foundation) wall will be almost at the LRT tracks and will go straight down.  The rear wall will be near the CN yard.  A tall retaining wall at the back between the buildings -- or maybe the garage will be continuous across all four buildings?

Not that difficult to build, really.  They won't have to dig deep, and likely won't run into the water table, either.
So from what I took from the investment proposal was that it is now funded. So now where do things stand, have they submitted proposals to the city? When do we know if and when shovels hit the ground?

The rendering above is neat, but now made impossible with the positioning of the TPSS.
(05-29-2017, 08:06 PM)Canard Wrote: I cannot picture at all how this will work!  It really doesn't seem like there is enough room between the LRT station (Block Line) and the CN yard.  They already spent ~6 months terraforming that whole area, just to support the weight of the tracks and the station.  I can't even fathom how much concrete they'll have to pour here to make this possible!  And then there will be like a 10-story drop-off on the backside, whee!

I find it 'cute' how you guys think this is some crazy topography situation... just look at these pics from my native Mexico City:

[Image: 1X5A0837.jpg]

The same development (City Santa Fe) under construction:

[Image: 16459128561_e2222651b1_b.jpg]

And an upscale gated community in the same area:

[Image: 120201-011.jpg]

Bonus from google earth:

[Image: PUq8r5G.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »