Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walper Hotel
panamaniac Wrote:
Spokes Wrote:And young professionals too

With so many bars being geared towards students, we're a demographic searching for some element of good nightlife.

Well, OK, but have a mental picture of the lounge version of a grade school dance - all the boomers on one side of the room and all the young professionals on the other! Big Grin

Nah, we can all be friends hah

panamaniac Wrote:The old Rumrunner space is closed for renovations - given that the hotel's chef is now in charge of the operation, I expect that it will re-open (soon?) as a more up-scale restaurant and lounge. The comedy club will still be downstairs as well.

The Rum Runner is moving across the street into the space vacated by the coffee shop beside Starnge Utopia.

The lounge downstairs in the Walper will be a brand new, much classier establishment and serve as the hotel's event space too.
dubya Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:The old Rumrunner space is closed for renovations - given that the hotel's chef is now in charge of the operation, I expect that it will re-open (soon?) as a more up-scale restaurant and lounge. The comedy club will still be downstairs as well.

The Rum Runner is moving across the street into the space vacated by the coffee shop beside Starnge Utopia.

The lounge downstairs in the Walper will be a brand new, much classier establishment and serve as the hotel's event space too.

Yes, renovation of the "New Rumrunner" space on Queen St seems to be going slowly. I'm told that they are digging out the basement as part of the project.
I understand that the Walper Hotel will be closing for six months at year end for renovations.
Does anyone know what's causing the delay at the Walper? They were originally supposed to re-open this summer, but it seems that no renovation has yet taken place on the upper floors.
(06-13-2015, 03:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know what's causing the delay at the Walper?   They were originally supposed to re-open this summer, but it seems that no renovation has yet taken place on the upper floors.

Were the building permits actually issued?  The last I recall was that they were waiting for permits -- although I find it unlikely those would have been denied.
The Record is reporting that the Walper's public areas will reopen in May and the 90 renovated rooms will be completed in June.

That's excellent news; another downtown hotel will surely be welcome.
The article is here:  http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6249...e-by-june/

Cool to see this is happening.
Reno work is definitely under full steam; it's common to see 3 or 4 trucks of various trades parked on Queen or in the laneway, each day.
A unique artifact found during the reno: https://www.facebook.com/CBCKW891/videos...560339303/
(04-27-2016, 12:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: A unique artifact found during the reno: https://www.facebook.com/CBCKW891/videos...560339303/

They should speak with rych mills.  I wonder if the Walper doesn't have its own archive of photos and old bits and pieces?  They used to put the Walper name on all kinds of things like bar spoons, etc.
I noticed groups of well-dressed people heading in to the Walper today, so I stuck my head in to see what was happening.  Turns out they were hosting their first "post-renovation" wedding reception.  According to the woman I spoke with, the hotel plans to re-open on 01 July 2016.  The way she said it made me thing "July 1st if possible".
By the way, the revolving door at the Queen St entrance into the lobby has been taken out in favour of automatic sliding doors - apparently the revolving door did not meet modern safety standards.  Sad

A sliding door will also take up a lot less space.
I walked by this - the sliding door is like a window that allows clear site into the lobby.  Looks great.

Probably comments about removing the revolving door was about accessibility.  Although they still have one step into that area, it does look a lot easier to access if disabled when compared to the old configuration.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »