Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
Whoah, you really think the whole thing is going to be done by the end of the year?! That'd be awesome, but I totally don't see it... I hope you're right though!

I figured we were at least another 2 years out 'till seeing all 5 lanes open betewen 8 and 24.

Westbound lanes have shifted to the new alignment from Hespeler through the Kinsman building.

Still gaping holes either side of the rail underpass with lots of large tubes sitting nearby, although it looks like they've started digging out the embankment to the east to make space for the new lanes to come through.
Did that happen overnight? Yesterday evening it was still the regular configuration on my way home, but I saw the lanes were painted.

I guess I’ll find out this afternoon Smile
When I drove through around 5:30 AM, cars were zipping by on the newly opened stretch. On the way home at 5pm, the slowdown was at the Hespeler onramps and not on the incline like it used to be.
At 4pm or so the slowdown was definitely in the same place as it always is for me anyway, going up the hill. I always find it’s very congested until the second 24 on ramp... then it picks up a bit, but slows to a crawl again at the base of the hill.

The issue is that people in the right lane should move over and exit immediately, people in the middle lane should continue through or move over to the right one lane and exit, and people in the left should stay there for London. If everyone did this, it would work... but no, people in the middle lane FREAK OUT going up the hill, slam on their brakes and try to merge right. So your effective lane capacity goes from 3 to 1 to 2. Disaster. Every day.

I was really hoping they’d at least have it as a 4-lane configuration at the exit but it’s exactly the same setup as it was before construction, sadly.

Guess we’ll have to wait until it’s completely finished to have nirvana: two right lanes continuing on to 8 with no merge & shift stupidity.
(07-26-2018, 10:04 PM)Canard Wrote: Whoah, you really think the whole thing is going to be done by the end of the year?!  That'd be awesome, but I totally don't see it... I hope you're right though!

I figured we were at least another 2 years out 'till seeing all 5 lanes open betewen 8 and 24.

The entire project is supposed to be done July next year, and that includes all the cleanup and demobilization.  It is not inconceivable that eastbound could be done by end of this year and then westbound next year.
Forms are up for the central supports at Franklin. Signs saying highway will be closed September 12, likely for girder placement.

Also, seemingly no action at the CP line in the westbound lanes for over a month now. I wonder what's up.
(08-30-2018, 06:40 PM)timio Wrote: Also, seemingly no action at the CP line in the westbound lanes for over a month now.  I wonder what's up.

They may be waiting for approval from CP for an 88 hour window to close the line in order to complete construction
Imagine they needed 89 hours.
Quote:Highway 401 eastbound off ramp to Franklin Boulevard southbound (Interchange 282), Cambridge, closed to traffic, Friday, September 14th, 2018 until Friday, September 28th, 2018 for construction work operations, weather permitting and advanced signing in place.
Wow, thanks - that’s a very short closure! I was expecting months, not just two weeks. That’s my exit for my commute, so appreciate the update.

On Friday, on my way home I noticed they had erected two large cantilevered sign hangers on 401 EB between 8 and 24. They’re hanging over the left lanes; I have to wonder if these are for the (future, useless) HOV lanes.
(09-08-2018, 02:02 PM)Canard Wrote: Wow, thanks - that’s a very short closure! I was expecting months, not just two weeks. That’s my exit for my commute, so appreciate the update.

On Friday, on my way home I noticed they had erected two large cantilevered sign hangers on 401 EB between 8 and 24. They’re hanging over the left lanes; I have to wonder if these are for the (future, useless) HOV lanes.

Saw these too, and yes, that's exactly what they look like.

Coke

Do HOV lanes ever get policed?
(09-09-2018, 07:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: Do HOV lanes ever get policed?

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/model-passenger-dr...-1.3795339

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07...-lane.html