Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
(01-09-2019, 09:46 PM)Canard Wrote: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.79507,-79...!1e3?hl=en&authuser=0

...in all these instances that I could think of off the top of my head for where I've encountered lanes that don't end, they use the thick, double-frequency dashed lines.  This is mindblowing, it doesn't make any sense at all to me.  Arghhhhhhhh!!!

I could have sworn I was taught in Driver's Ed that this meant the lane you're in is about to end...

In your last example, the lane exits at the next exit, not very far away, so I don’t think it’s really an example of what you’re talking about. In the other examples, the frequent dashes don’t continue for very long; however, I still agree that it’s not clear what they’re trying to indicate with them. In practice they seem to indicate that “this lane joined up just a short distance back” which doesn’t feel very relevant to me; what matters is what is coming up ahead.

I think a case can be made that really the symbol should be a double white line, with one solid and one dashed line. For entrance ramps, solid on the expressway side; for exit ramps, solid on the ramp side. By analogy with yellow centre lines, this would indicate that one may cross over from the dash side to the solid side but not the other direction. For ramps that come on and then go off, perhaps the symbol could be a double dashed line. But that’s just some idle thinking on my part.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by Canard - 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by JCnb - 10-28-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - by Markster - 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road - by ijmorlan - 01-10-2019, 12:07 AM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Shawn - 09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Spokes - 09-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by Waterlooer - 09-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Re: Highway 401 Widening - by DHLawrence - 09-02-2014, 11:16 PM