Welcome Guest!
WIn order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(05-04-2016, 01:40 PM)KevinL Wrote: How soon will we see development on the pictured parking lot?

Only "insider" knows.  And he's not telling.  Smile
Some Downtown "randoms".

- the former Brauns building at 270 King E has had plastic sheeting separating the space from the front windows for the past year. The plastic is now down and the stripped out/renovated space is quite nice. I don't think this work has been taken with any specific tenant in mind, so we'll see how long it sits empty.

- the Downtown BIA has moved its offices from 29 King St E to the recently renovated storefront at 54 Queen S (beside Black Arrow Bicycles).

- renovations are continuing for the San Francisco Panini spot opening at 146 King W. I think I mentioned it previously, but it looks like the renovated space, which has incredibly high ceilings, will retain the original pressed tin ceiling and coving. If so, fabulous!
An additional "random", before it moves to the Food, Dining and Entertainment thread. The former "Hive" at the corner of King St E and Scott looks like it should be re-opening soon. Furniture has been brought in, although there's no sign up yet. The place has a pretty large patio deck out back, which should be nice this summer. Has anybody heard anything about what kind of operation it is supposed to be? I'm thinking Pub/restaurant, perhaps with live music?
According to a report in today's record, the company behind the renovation of "Weber Chambers" on King St W will be converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units.  Interesting and a bit strange at the same time, although I suspect rental apartments at that location will be snapped up.  I wonder at what point Downtown will see a demand for new "standard" office space? 
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6542...partments/

Meanwhile, up the street at Ontario and Weber, I see that the building that most recently (and very briefly) housed an African restaurant has been sold.  It would be nice to see another restaurant or pub open here, to compliment the other improvements on "Funtario".
(05-07-2016, 08:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: According to a report in today's record, the company behind the renovation of "Weber Chambers" on King St W will be converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units.  Interesting and a bit strange at the same time, although I suspect rental apartments at that location will be snapped up.  I wonder at what point Downtown will see a demand for new "standard" office space? 
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6542...partments/

There is still a fair bit of supply of standard or near-standard office space, with 55 King W (TD/Igloo), 305 King W (old Canada Trust), 385 Frederick (Galleria), 30 Queen N and 50 Duke W among others.  However, it's true that 55 King W is now nearing full occupancy; don't know what the vacancy levels are at the other office buildings.

DREAM still has the ability to build a second tower behind 55 King W, where the surface parking is now, but I suspect they don't have any near-term plans to do that.
(05-07-2016, 08:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote:  converting the smaller tower of Corporation Square (the building above the Apollo Cinema on Ontario St at Duke) into apartment units. 

Hmm, I wonder if this might lead to the smaller properties/structures at Weber and Ontario being consolidated, and something built to abut this building's very blank back wall...
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
(04-30-2016, 03:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.

I wonder if that wasn't Bernie Nimer, the owner of a number of downtown properties, including the ill-fated Mayfair Hotel?  His name was mentioned during todays public art Jane's Walk as he is making space available in the King Centre (aka Shoppers Drug Mart) for the upcoming CAFKA.
I see that the former Factory Shoe outlet on Victoria N next to the Conestoga Parkway is being demolished. Is this related to the Hwy 7 project like the demolition of the commercial mall on the other side of the expressway?
[Image: D9SH8VH.png]
Hmmm...

Unsure if this is just an illustration, or the branding for a new building.

(05-12-2016, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I see that the former Factory Shoe outlet on Victoria N next to the Conestoga Parkway is being demolished.  Is this related to the Hwy 7 project like the demolition of the commercial mall on the other side of the expressway?

It is! There will be an underpass there for cars to get from new Hwy 7 Westbound to Hwy 85 Southbound. As well, a connection from Wellington to Edna (where the current ramps off the 85 to Edna are).
They're going to dismantle the Connaught Hotel project in Hamilton and reassemble it in Downtown Kitchener? Now that would be interesting!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »