Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
How soon might the Boehmer Box building be adapted into high-end office space? That will move north-side activity further east...
My Twitter: @KevinLMaps
A few of the units fronting Breithaupt towards the Waterloo side have been renovated. That might actually not strictly be the same building.

The tracks are a bit of a barrier, but they shouldn't be. It's a friendly unfriendly crossing right now, generally unpleasant-looking with not much shelter along Duke. Doubtlessly development along Victoria is more likely than along Wellington, but I do hope that, if the neighbourhood gets more office space, it gets some small commercial to serve it.
(06-11-2016, 02:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Vanguard Developments is also doing the Walter st. midrise which is a bit of a yawn architecturally and it looks like they have a few other projects coming:
51 Scott Street http://vanguarddevelopments.com/51Scott.html

The building permits for this development were issued late last year.
(02-14-2017, 02:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-11-2016, 02:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Vanguard Developments is also doing the Walter st. midrise which is a bit of a yawn architecturally and it looks like they have a few other projects coming:
51 Scott Street http://vanguarddevelopments.com/51Scott.html

The building permits for this development were issued late last year.

This does or does not include the vacant lot on the corner?

If it's mid block on Scott the way it looks, I like it a lot.
Correct, it's mid-block, not including the corner.
Was not a development planned or should have been started by now at that corner?
(12-11-2016, 07:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 01:10 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I fall somewhere in between you and MacBerry, who says he'd be surprised if they got $400,000. They're asking $570,000- that does seem ridiculous to me. But I've seen places in this part of the town which are in less than stellar shape go for over $400,000, and there has to be a premium for brand new construction with 21st century features. Usually, when you buy in a neighbourhood like this, you're getting something that has been adapted by potentially ten or twenty owners using various generations of technology, and I understand why some people may not be interested in that.

These are about 2000 sq ft, and apparently being built with high-end features.  Certainly if you compare to a larger condo unit (even a new townhouse condo unit such as 144 Park) the price tag doesn't look so bad.

I think they are pushing the envelope $570K, but I do believe they will be able to sell these for over $500K.

As an update, 2 of the 4 units are now sold with another having a conditional offer. Looks like the price has been raised to $589,000-$599,000 as well.
(02-15-2017, 10:24 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 07:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: These are about 2000 sq ft, and apparently being built with high-end features.  Certainly if you compare to a larger condo unit (even a new townhouse condo unit such as 144 Park) the price tag doesn't look so bad.

I think they are pushing the envelope $570K, but I do believe they will be able to sell these for over $500K.

As an update, 2 of the 4 units are now sold with another having a conditional offer. Looks like the price has been raised to $589,000-$599,000 as well.

Apparently $570K was not ridiculous after all!   Blush
Yep, I noticed the other two listed for a bit higher the other day- so I eat crow on this. I'm shocked that someone would pay almost $600,000 for a semi in this neighbourhood, but apparently there are at least a few people who will!
Sorry guys, wasn't my intention at all to have you eat crow!
It's OK, sometimes I don't mind at all being wrong. Smile
(02-16-2017, 02:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's OK, sometimes I don't mind at all being wrong.  Smile

I do know where you were coming from with your initial thoughts however.

We bought a semi from the same builder and some people thought we were crazy at the time. But in hindsight, I think we will do very well moving forward. While the prices per square foot are definitely higher than many builders, the quality of construction and finishes is in line with the initial outlay of cash.
Damn! Apparently I'm going to demolish my house and replace it with 4 town homes and then retire to a mansion.
I'm used to being wrong about Canadian real estate! It's going on at least six years now that it has been proving me wrong...

I'm really curious about those proposed semis on Bismark. The style is not my cup of tea, but I think it might add something interesting to the neighbourhood. And, as I've said, a diversity of building types and ages is in everyone's interest.
(02-16-2017, 03:51 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Damn!  Apparently I'm going to demolish my house and replace it with 4 town homes and then retire to a mansion.

Good luck on getting the rezoning.

You'll make enough to pay for your contractors/construction, and your own living expenses for the years it will take to make it happen.